Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 13-11-2003 , 02:01 PM
Looking good so far, will be interesting to see the final restult user added image

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

# 17 14-11-2003 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
just a little update.
yes the chest and face still need work but the legs are much better. I'm happy with them. what you you all think ?

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 14-11-2003 , 12:41 AM
Subscriber
Michael, I hope to be UVmaping before the night is done. I remember that you had used a texture with different colored boxes on it to test your layout. Is there one on the net some ware I could download ? I know I could make one my self but I was hoping to save some time there.

Oh yeah about the sword or bow. Well the character will be Arwen and I have not seen her with a bow in either of the first 2 movies. But I did see her with a sword for 2 seconds in the first movie. I was trying to keep in character. It do not matter to me. If it was a sword I was thinking about making it more like a light saber. Or if a bow.. well I don't have any ideas for a SciFi bow yet.

# 19 14-11-2003 , 12:41 AM
Subscriber
Looking very good!
I think you allready know the parts thats still need work so no need to comment there, seems close to a finnished modell allready.

Well done!

# 20 14-11-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Hey that looks verry nice!
I have one wuestion when I see you model. Lets say you make a low poly model. Then you smooth it, Then when you are making UVW map, are you mapping low poly or high poly? I think low poly, but would like to see how others do this.

Well, anyway, I do think that you could (as you said) work a bit on face and chest. Keep up!

# 21 14-11-2003 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
For the coloured grid to test uv layout I use this excellent one from danny's UV tools; I ususlly set it to repeat a couple of times to get the detail in.

https://www.dannyngan.com/

That whole tool set is really handy imho, although I know you are already good at this stuff I found Danny's set a huge help myself.

Attached Files
File Type: zip mapping_grid_color.zip (127.5 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Witchy; 14-11-2003 at 01:10 AM.
# 22 14-11-2003 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
Chris_H Thanks !! really. I appreciate your comments, your pretty good your self. I went to your web sight. Nice female. good detail in the belly and chest.

Zocky, Thankyou. Oh defiantly I UV map from the lowPoly. But its my understanding thought that it changes the placement of the UV map a little when you do smooth so you might have to go in a tweak a little once its smoothed. But that is much easier than trying to UV map 4 X the Polys. I model from low poly consistently anyway. Just hit the hot key for smooth. Look at it make sure its ok and undo it back to lowPoly.

Oh Witchy thanks allot! I'll use it. thanks for the gift, and its not even Xmas yet. Well I'v looked over dannyngan's stuff once. I think I will again just to make sure. But my approach is very much like his. Just more manual.

# 23 14-11-2003 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for visiting the site, glad you liked the work user added image

Keep up the good work mate:thumbsup:

# 24 14-11-2003 , 05:24 AM
The Maya Mountain
Pony - Arwen isn't exactly a prominent character in the wold of LotR, so it's tough to determine what her character-defining piece of equipment might be. In any case, a sword is fine. I hope you are able to convey that the character is Arwen somehow. I'll leave that up to you.

Also, I hope your horse becomes a bit more sci-fi-ish. Right now, it's looking pretty normal. I know you plan on making it cybernetic or some such. I hope that will be visibly conveyed?

# 25 14-11-2003 , 05:58 AM
Subscriber
Mike...
I pan on having it look like Arwen. Although I'm not sure what to use for body reference as from what I remember she wares pretty baggy cloths..

I do plan on conveying the cybernetic part on the horse. Hell I was thinking at least of putting a bar code on its hide. LOL but I figured that would not be enough for ya... besides I was thinking of the story behind it all like this..

That the female character is working on healing the wounds the horse has. They had to replace like one of the limbs. Bionic horse. (don't worry I would not use the cheesy sound effects from 6 million dollar man.) Right foreleg maybe? So thin something dangerous comes bye and starts chasing them, monster or robot. Not sure yet.. she jumps on the horse because its faster than her running bye her self. Off they go down the corridors of the ship monster chasing.

Even thought of some movie posters for it.. like the Alien motif.

In space no one can hear you scream. But with ears like she has you can.. LOL

so if you don't think the horse is SciFi'ed enough to hesitate to tell me. Right now I'm just trying to get the outside of the horse right so I have something really good to base the cybernetics on.

I could do a more detailed drawing of what the end result will be if you like. I would like to avoid reworking things to stay in the spirit of the challenge.

What do ya think ?

Last edited by Pony; 14-11-2003 at 07:06 AM.
# 26 14-11-2003 , 06:15 AM
The Maya Mountain
no argument from me. user added image Just voicing opinions. Looking forward to it!

# 27 14-11-2003 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
Thought I would show how close I got to the orthos, and the wire from the side once its smoothed.

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 14-11-2003 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
Ok finally feel like doing a render.
I'v worked on the chest, legs, between the legs, Front chest, and back end.

starting to be good enough for comments about its confirmation. Wares ADL when you need him.. LOL

Still have the neck and head to go.

Attached Images
# 29 14-11-2003 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
Very nice horse, i'm impressed.

# 30 14-11-2003 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Ice Q

bean working on the face now.. not there just yet but close.. and yep the ears still suck. havent tuched them yet.

and the eyes are def off. There is no procedural way to do a horse eye, and get the shap of the texture right.. will do the texture for it in a bit..

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Pony; 14-11-2003 at 02:47 PM.