Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-10-2004 , 08:36 PM

Connecting to "distance from camera"

I want to link the focus distance on a camera to a locator's "distance from camera" attribute. I can't seem to find that in the Connection Editor. Basically what I want to do is be able to move the locator to the position I want to be in focus.

This way I can animate the locator and change what is in focus over time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stu

# 2 08-11-2004 , 05:34 AM

Solved

yay! I've solved my own problem! I created a Creat->Measure Tools->Distance Tool. This creates a tool that has two locators and measures the distance between them. I named one startLocator and the other endLocator. I connected the location of the startLocator to the location of the camera, so it will move with the camera. Then I put the endLocator and the part I want to be in focus (the f-stop value determines how much in front and behind the focus distance will be in focus. f:5.6 means a small distance, wher f:64 means practically everything is in focus). Then I connected the camera's focus distance to the Distance Tool's distance attribute. I had to do this in the script editor cause I couldn't find the options in the connection editor.
Code:
connectAttr -f distanceDimension1.distance cameraShape1.focusDistance;
And now it works. Yay!

# 3 15-01-2020 , 07:07 PM

yay! I've solved my own problem! I created a Creat->Measure Tools->Distance Tool. This creates a tool that has two locators and measures the distance between them. I named one startLocator and the other endLocator. I connected the location of the startLocator to the location of the camera, so it will move with the camera. Then I put the endLocator and the part I want to be in focus (the f-stop value determines how much in front and behind the focus distance will be in focus. f:5.6 means a small distance, wher f:64 means practically everything is in focus). Then I connected the camera's focus distance to the Distance Tool's distance attribute. I had to do this in the script editor cause I couldn't find the options in the connection editor.

Code:
connectAttr -f distanceDimension1.distance cameraShape1.focusDistance;
And now it works. Yay!

I know it's a bit late, but this saved my life.