Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 24-02-2012 , 04:53 AM
Lifetime Member
remember what ctbram? LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 24-02-2012 , 05:08 AM
I think it must be the version of Maya then. My version doesn't seem to have the crease option.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 18 24-02-2012 , 05:41 AM
@bullet: what I meant was - You decide to turn the non-default switch to unpin. Then you go to someone elses machine or you update maya but a long stretch has gone by and you have to remember how you turned the non-standard behavior on. I was just saying why I tend to stay with the defaults. But this is because I am not using the program constantly and changing things from default can cause me grief if I am away from the program too long.

This is also one of th reasons I do not like to remap default hotkeys.

If I used maya every day I might be tempted because I would remember the changes I made.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 24-02-2012 at 05:47 AM.
# 19 24-02-2012 , 05:45 AM
@perfecto: Looks like map borders / smooth internal would give the default 2012 behavior. It's odd though because if you are using 2009, so is bullet and his defaults to the same behavior that I describe in the video.

The important thing is we now know why your version of Maya is acting different.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 24-02-2012 at 05:49 AM.
# 20 25-02-2012 , 10:23 AM
I apologize for asking a question and not getting back to say thanks, Rick, thanks for the video, basically it seems this is Maya's (default) way , but you can change it if you want.
Personally I prefer the edges to be unpinned, if I want them hard I can add more divisions. So it would be nice to know if it is possible to set it so that this become the default behavior.
Did you also see the option 'Legacy' in the Crease edge options, does this refer to older versions of Maya settings I wonder?

The reason I need the edges un-pinned is so the mesh can move into other 3D apps so I don't want to be using any kind of custom wieghting effects, just plain polygons that can be smoothed.

# 21 25-02-2012 , 01:04 PM
@dj - Glad I could help. If you are using 2010 and up go to preference and the selection section and then check the box that says "Ignore Selection Priority". This will enable the behavior you seek.

In older versions I think the settings that Perfecto has is what you want https://simplymaya.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=17.

# 22 25-02-2012 , 01:24 PM
By the way, it's pretty cool to have a youtube video that welcomes you by name.