Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-10-2004 , 02:16 AM

Quake 4 and maya?

Anyone seen the new PCGamer magazine? In it they have a 10 page Quake 4 review and in one of the screnes showing one of the models i recognized the interface. It was the bottom right section of the screen and i recognized the time slider and keyframe markers and ik handles of the model. They also showed a few of the wireframes. I was wondering, if anyone else has seen it why the models are so insanely polyheavy? There seems to be 3-4 polys where 1-2 will do.

If you need me to i can scan the image(not the article though).

Anyone know of any other games made with maya?

And is it possible to extract the models from these games?

# 2 04-10-2004 , 12:33 PM
Usually you're not allowed to scan copyrighted material like that to post on the internet or something. Lots of games are made with Maya: pretty much anything from Lucasarts, at least, because I know they use Maya. Extracting the models is tough, and usually only works if the developers have provided an SDK, or Software Development Kit. The models are super duper mega high poly because those will be converted into normal maps that will be placed on the lower poly models.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
-Bilbo Baggins