Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 13-07-2005 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks dgustavson,
I will give that a go.

Skeksi,
I am assuming your talking about the picture with the green background? If so the model is the real thing. Its actually a desktop background. All I did was put mine next to it to give a side by side comparison.

Cheers
Paul

# 47 14-07-2005 , 01:29 AM
The model looks good and the textures & bumpmaps are looking good so far.

I like side 2 betteruser added image

Keep up the good work BMS!

# 48 14-07-2005 , 02:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks vedic kings, I'm trying :p

diezel700,
Thanks for the links, but I don't understand what it has to do with my texture. I looked around the site but . . . Didn't find anything user added image

# 49 14-07-2005 , 05:08 PM
Side 2 looked alot nicer, are you using a multiple layer texture? That might be a good way to get your grime showing up more in the crevices of the metal and all.

# 50 14-07-2005 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
To create some of the weathering, use dodge and burn along the seams. Use a low opacity brush and build up the effect as desired. Also recommend adjusting the size and angle jitter to create a more random stroke. This is all assuming you're using Photoshop...

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 51 14-07-2005 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
Michael,
Yes I am using photo shop, I've been using it for like . . . 5 months or so user added image. I'm getting better at it but I still have a lot to learn. I never tried the Dodge or Burn tool on the texture, but I will give it a go. I took screen shots of the movie and the one in the movie is a darker green again.

I'm not sure what the Angle Gitter is. I assume the brush I'm using? I didn't know you could angle it. Will give that a go.

niasyn,
Yes I am using multiple layer texture, but like I said above, I still have a lot to learn about Photoshop. Having said that, I've used Fireworks for 6 years, so I'm not new to using Paint Apps.

EDIT: Removed Reference to diezel700

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 15-07-2005 at 02:32 AM.
# 52 15-07-2005 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
Did some more. Below is a screen shot from the Movie and the Dodge and Burn tool really worked well. I think I'm closer, but all I need is a little more roughness to my texture. Any comments and suggestions REALLY welcome.

Thanks
Paul

Attached Images
# 53 15-07-2005 , 03:18 PM
Nice work!

It looks to me like you have the color map right now you just need to work on a spec map. I think that is what is giving it the extra roughness that you are looking for.

# 54 27-07-2005 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
I had a go at another texture. Its not complete but I think the texture looks more panel like.

Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 27-07-2005 , 07:11 PM
Subscriber
Have to say, its looking awesome so far BMS,

Comments:
Maybe increase the bump a wee bit to have real shadows in between the panels rather than just the burned texture. I don't know if you're using a Spec map at all but I think it would play a big part in bringing the overall texture to life in this case. If you've allready got the Spec map applied, maybe try and alter the spec map to emphasise the clearner parts of the texture.

Looking really good though buddy! Looking forward to seeing this finisheduser added image

Jamie.

# 56 27-07-2005 , 07:18 PM
What about displacing the mesh a little?

Looking great though!

# 57 27-07-2005 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Jamie,

I actually reduced the Bump map to 0 because I wanted to get the texture looking right. I'm going to finish off the texture and then apply a the bump and spec map. The ultimate test is going to get it to do a fly-by my house and see how it looks. user added image

niasyn,
Here is a wire of it. Its a pretty basic shape. The only part that was a pain was the Engine Intakes.

Cheers
Paul

Attached Images
# 58 28-07-2005 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber
Did a little more.

I will finish off the texture, then focus on the Bump and Spec Maps next. Hopefully have it completed this weekend, ready for some animation.

Attached Thumbnails
# 59 29-07-2005 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber
Another Update.

How does this texture look?

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 29-07-2005 , 08:27 AM
the yellowis too golden and the green is too saturated. apart from that it's looking pretty cool

user added image
a

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB