Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-05-2008 , 12:22 PM

Model Breaks Apart on Transform

Hi Guys.

My model fall apart once I move it. I have centered everything, Free transformed and grouped everything within a Locator. I also have constraints and two IK rigs within the model. I use to be able to solve this problem but I have forgotton the rest of it.

# 2 08-05-2008 , 12:24 PM
if it's 'falling apart' you either don't have something grouped in correctly so it's not moving with the rest of your objects, or you have a strange grouping or double grouping so you're getting double transforms

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 08-05-2008 , 07:57 PM
nurbs or poly's?

# 4 11-05-2008 , 10:54 AM
Its a polly model

# 5 11-05-2008 , 03:57 PM
Sounds like you might have an object parented to another object, then you drag select both and move them. As the parent moves, the child moves with it, but then your also moving the child, producing a double transform. Be ware of what is parented and what your selecting...

If this is not the cause, then perhaps you'd be able to provide a sample file for us to look at.

# 6 13-05-2008 , 09:25 AM
Im just going through the hypergraph and cleaning everything up. I have noticed that the objects that are causing a double transform have been weighted. Should I be adding another joint in and weighting my whole model to orient joint?