Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 11-08-2009 , 06:06 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
@ coldwave;
"What is that orange on the head ?"
I painted on the model using ZProject in ZBrush and saved as an image but the image was very Blueish so i did a quick colorcoorection in PS.

@hammer.horror;
I always use PS for the final texturing, the lining up is indeed no exact science, however i experienced that if the model is good enough it lines up pretty well.
I usually grab some keypoints; Eyes, top of head, point of nose, mouth and chin and start painting in the texture and it lined up reasonably well.

# 32 12-08-2009 , 05:00 PM
-Adjusted the ear-will adjust more once in ZB
-Made the teeth
-Made the Wand(hardly visible, but still)
-Made the innerRobes
-Accentuated key features of his head;
browridge
nose and nostrils
chin/mouth

Still to do;

Feet (absolute nightmare to model)
Surroundings if thee still is time, i rather finish the model and let him stand in darkness than half finished objects and nothing as i would like it

then to ZB

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 12-08-2009 , 07:05 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by mastone

@hammer.horror;
I always use PS for the final texturing, the lining up is indeed no exact science, however i experienced that if the model is good enough it lines up pretty well.
I usually grab some keypoints; Eyes, top of head, point of nose, mouth and chin and start painting in the texture and it lined up reasonably well.

I was only asking as i thought you were doing your own interpretation of the character. in which case it might not of lined up.
user added image

# 34 12-08-2009 , 08:05 PM
Hi Hammer

" I was only asking as i thought you were doing your own interpretation of the character. in which case it might not of lined up. "

I didn't think about it that way user added image , In the beginning i was still in doubt whether or not i should do an interpretation based on the book or if i made ralph fiennes -voldemort, i gathered some images from the internet sculpted a bit in ZBrush to get a look and feel but in the end i decided that the voldemort from the movie had the ideal look i have however sticked to the book when it comes to the eyes and his wand and i am trying to strike a balance between movie and fantasy -Voldemort, so that people who only saw the movie say and the ones that read the books would say hey it looks like Voldemort, we will see at the 17th of August if I succeeded user added image

# 35 13-08-2009 , 05:45 PM
I have finally uv mapped everything and started sculpting in ZBrush.
Still a lot to do pff. Damn you deadline :angery:

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 13-08-2009 , 05:48 PM
Think that you could do more work on the wrinkels on the face, they look like a simple rectangle drag of one of the built in alphas (cant remember the number off the top of my head) as well as add some randomnes to either side.

You need to berak it up a bit an add some randomness to it all, before texturing.

Dont let it down by rushing the detials.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 37 13-08-2009 , 07:46 PM
You are absolutely right about that steve, sometimes my impatience get's the better of meuser added image

For now my progress, I actually finished the hand with full details but i had a ZBrush crash, let me know what you guys thinkuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 13-08-2009 , 07:53 PM
Head , arms looks good but i don't like the flow of the main robe ... i think you could touch it a little bit more !

user added image

# 39 14-08-2009 , 04:38 PM
Yeah the robes could flow better and accentuate the overall look of him. I visioned in the books that he was quite thin, the long robes could help that a lot.

I would also be tempted to make a layer on the head in Z and then sculpt i with some reptile style alphas (think theres some on highend 3d) to give him a big snake like look and move more away from the movie look, the layer you can then dial in or out depending.

# 40 14-08-2009 , 04:49 PM
# 41 14-08-2009 , 06:44 PM
I would put some scaley stuff in there, he dosent look that "reptilian" at the mo, more old and "leathery"

Go for the snake like look.

Edit

I would also pose him now and the sculpt around it over the T pose. If your going for for a full body.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by gster123; 14-08-2009 at 06:48 PM.
# 42 15-08-2009 , 01:17 PM
@Gster;
" Yeah the robes could flow better and accentuate the overall look of him. I visioned in the books that he was quite thin, the long robes could help that a lot.

I would also be tempted to make a layer on the head in Z and then sculpt i with some reptile style alphas (think theres some on highend 3d) to give him a big snake like look and move more away from the movie look, the layer you can then dial in or out depending....... I would put some scaley stuff in there, he dosent look that "reptilian" at the mo, more old and "leathery"

Go for the snake like look.

Edit

I would also pose him now and the sculpt around it over the T pose. If your going for for a full body."

-I really appreciate your views there steve, there's only one caveat, I'm not as talented when it comes to painting in color and stuff like that like some of you guys it's something i am still working on and the pressing deadline isn't helping user added image

# 43 15-08-2009 , 02:54 PM
Gave his skin a bit more a scale-like appearance, I just hope the displacementmap can handle the amount of detail user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 16-08-2009 , 06:06 PM
I pulled an alnight-er yesterday, trying to make something off it but i don't think the full body will work, so i will probably go for a half body portrait or something like that.

Also the displacement isn't working as i want it to i either get a blown up face or some reall strange inverted crap.

I wanted to recreate the scene where voldemort put's his locket Horcrux in the bassin but there isn't enough time so i have to revert to a simpler scene.

The image you see is a render i made with only a normal map around 6 'o clock this morning.

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 16-08-2009 , 07:17 PM
The normal map should get the details in there for ya, you could always pull out the lvl 2/3 form Z to get a bit more geo, with a big enough map you should be sorted.

Maybe stick the wand in his hand and have hip pointing it at the camera?