Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-10-2011 , 09:52 PM

Alpha Channel Problem.

I'm trying to import hair created in photoshop, but I'm having troubles. I created the hair, and added the alpha channel, exported both out. went into maya added a lambert to a plane. Added file node, by clicking color added my file TGA but the painted hair was just on the plane, and it was the same color as my background color for the image.

I tried adding the alpha channel seperatly by clicking transparency, and adding the file, but it didn't change anything. Alpha Luminance checked or unchecked doesn't do anything...

----- Picture Preperation ----

- Painted hair, change background color to match hair, added the alpha channel, saved both..

----- what I've noticed in Maya ----------

The shader ball in attributes editor has the color of my hair, and the black and white checkered matt for trancparency...

If I slide alpha gain down my entire plane dissapears hair and all (don't know if that's normal or not, lol)

ahh.. I notice when the guy saved his file in the tutorial, which is good by the way if someone stumbles upon this.

(https://www.andrewklein.net/bh/char09.html)

that is if you can get it to work, lol.

anyway, when he saved photoshop didn't ask him anything. It asked me if I wanted to save as a certain bit type, it gave me a few, I picked the highest one, 64 or some thing..

can anyone solve this for me?

# 2 16-10-2011 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
did you try saving it as a lower number of bits? 24 i think is the normal? (sorry, no photoshop in front of me)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 16-10-2011 , 10:52 PM
lol. never thought of that, I'm gonna try that now. There's also a tick bocks for compress RLE.

Also a tick bocks for use lower case extension.

# 4 17-10-2011 , 09:02 AM
I found my mistake by watching the video again haha. right stupid. I filled the layer with the hair with the background color, instead of the background. I'm assuming this is the problem. Hense the plane the rough color of my hair, lol

# 5 17-10-2011 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
maya doesn't support RLE compression

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 17-10-2011 , 09:16 AM
I still can't get this working, I thought I had it figured out becuase I painted the background color on the same layer as the hair ( In photoshop), so I redid did it the right way, but it still didn't work

# 7 17-10-2011 , 09:17 AM
nope, didn't have that check, and I tried 24kbit, didn't work either..

# 8 17-10-2011 , 09:24 AM
Hey, I actually got it this time. I had the alpha chanel selected with the eye in the check box when I saved the image. this time I deselected it so it wasn't visible..didn't know that would make a diffence..I guess that would include the alpha channel in visibility? making it useless?

# 9 17-10-2011 , 09:26 AM
now to fun part. Learning how to place these properly, lol.

# 10 17-10-2011 , 12:06 PM

Texture mapping Sphere problem

I'm having a bit of trouble with this alpha channel texture mapping. I acheived it with hair no problem. Now I'm trying to place some drawn eyes on a sphereirical shape, but I'm having trouble doing it. When I apply the image the sphere dissapears, and jus the image I put on it stays..

# 11 17-10-2011 , 12:12 PM
That and the image isn't in one piece on the invisible sphere, lol.

# 12 17-10-2011 , 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
I think your sphere isn't uv mapped and your texture is applied to the transparency channel as well.. It explains the sphere disappearing and the texture being all over the place. You might want to look into some material on the basics.

- Genny