Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-08-2013 , 11:43 PM

Low Poly Look

Hello fellow maya enthusiasts.
user added image

Im trying to model a low poly look of various items, it can be anything but im not sure the technique to do it, iv seen this video gsma concept by hurricane media

also this tutorial by Nick aka greyscalegorilla getting a low poly look in cinema 4d/

but that was in c4d.

i have managed to get the rough look by disabling the 'Smooth Shading' option in the render stats of the object. i have also been able to triangulate the object using the option in the mesh tools, however I'm not sure how i can randomise the vertices to have them connect at random points.

i know after that i need to use a displacement shader to create the different ups and downs of the geometry.

any on help on how i can randomly merge vertices or maybe there is a different technique that im not sure about but im really stuck and i need a solution asap.

thanks

ali

# 2 12-08-2013 , 03:18 PM

Done It

Well thanks for the lack of replies but iv managed to do it.

basically this is what you need to do.

1. Select Geo then go to render stats and turn of smooth shading.
2. Select all the verts on your mesh (or the ones you want that applied)
3. go to Edit Mesh > Transform Component > option box
4. Select the random factor (you can change that later)
5. Move the vertices to the form you want
6. Select the Geo then go to Mesh > Triangulate
7. Select the Mesh again then got to Mesh > Reduce (adjust options for different results)
9. Render

and your done. user added image

# 3 12-08-2013 , 10:33 PM
Technical Director

Well thanks for the lack of replies but iv managed to do it.

I'm glad you figured it out, but you have to remember that many of us work full time, and are not always online. Be patient, and someone will be around in due time user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 13-08-2013 , 12:10 AM
Lool sorry anout that didnt releize it was only a few hours from the first post, well must have felt like ages coz my mind was freaking out.

But still if anyone has a better way of acheiving this look please post thanks

# 5 13-08-2013 , 01:48 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Try modeling the object and running a harden edge on it. It will give you the same look, you may want to run triangulate.

# 6 30-09-2013 , 06:38 PM

1. Select Geo then go to render stats and turn of smooth shading.

I can't find where is it?

But I found another solution to this problem, normals --> harden edge

# 7 08-10-2013 , 08:15 AM
i'd just make a normal model and not smooth it ... and triangulate user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^