Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-01-2009 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber

(another) Sand Speeder

Have been checking out everyone's speeder WIP, lots of fantastic work out there, thought I would throw my own effort into the ring. Got as far as the engine (part 4), spending far too much time on the detail here (just as well I dont have deadlines to work to!) and still a bit more to go.

Also whilst making an ambient occlusion image (simply an AO node plugged into the colour on a lambert) any modifications to the actual AO node itself take forever (30+ seconds) to update, following this its no problem whatsoever, is this normal behaviour for maya 2008? Just a minor issue, not causing me any huge issues but curious as to why this happens.

Also I found out by accident that turning off the "double sided" attribute in the image planes render stats means you can see through the back and observe the model more easily - my tip for the day user added image

Cheers Jay for a great tute.

Attached Thumbnails

No job - plenty of time for Maya
# 2 14-01-2009 , 11:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
macs revenge

Outstanding sir so far I love the extra details youve added!!

With regards to the ambient occlusion, the shader is a little slower than actually using the preset in the render layers pallete.

Stick the model on a render layer and set the preset to ambient occlusion. You can turn it off in your view by going to lighting>default lighting just while you model then switch back again.

I'll be watching this one...

Jay

# 3 21-01-2009 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
Have been a bit lax posting my progress of late. Have finished modelling for the main part and have moved onto the UV mapping. I seem to have some scale issues on the engine itself, some of the detalis look quite delicate and not "robust" enough for the kind of homebrew customisation look I was going for. You live and learn - might do some scaling of these as well as add some more detail to the fuselage if I get time.

Will hopefully have a textured render up soon. Here is an AO of the completed model.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 21-01-2009 , 10:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
that engine looks great, its coming along nicely

# 5 29-01-2009 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
Again been pretty busy, taking forever to get to the end of the speeder tute, enjoying every minute of it though. Thought I would post my textures so far, again mainly concentrating on the engine.

Used mainly blinns and lamberts, the golden chambers are a mia_material and I have added dirt to some of the blinns using the mix8layer and a procedural dirt map.

The blue bits are still WIP!!

Cheers for looking

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 01-02-2009 , 12:32 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 7 01-02-2009 , 01:13 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Sweet!! Glad you're enjoying!!

Jay

# 8 18-03-2009 , 04:11 AM
Superb work. I really like the engine greebling. The pressure vessels are a really nice touch as is your tubes that go from the engine to the fuselage.

The initial texturing also looks to be going great.

I like the lighting you use on the black and white renders. Some kind of occlusion mapping thing? I'd like to experiment with a couple renders like that with the version I am working on.

I am looking forward to your fully textured final.

Rick M

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675