Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-09-2005 , 06:36 AM

Dusty Area Light Shadow

user added image

1. I have an area light on the left, and a point light on the right.
Raytrace Shadows for the area light is turned on.
It was rendered with raytracing turned on as well.

What I get is a patch of noisy shadow cast by the ball. How is it that I can make it more natural?
(I have the spot light throw a shadow and it doesn't have the noisy shadow. )

2. Since the area light & point light are shining from behind the wooden ball, how come there's still light that got inside the ball?

3. On the surface of the wooden ball, there's actually a separate surface with a material to simulate glass. It's just a plain surface. I want to create depth to it so that when I shin e the light at it, it can show some refractions of the inner wood. How should I go about increasing the thickness of the glass?

# 2 19-09-2005 , 06:42 AM
With number 3 this is just a stab in the dark, but why not try Bump Mapping it? Just convert the texture to gray scale in Photoshop or something and apply it as a bump map, just change the bump map depth to how natural u want it to look