Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 91 25-08-2008 , 08:19 AM
The chain's texture has an alpha channel for the transparency... I tried to model it once but my poly count jumped sky high. currently it's a plane with a color, bump and transparency maps.
I haven't done anything special for the shadows... I can cause a problem though because even the zero-transparency areas block some of the light.
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 92 25-08-2008 , 04:17 PM
19 year Veteran
You have really good eyes Pefecto, I had to take the pic into photoshop to see that. user added image

Anyway, I like the enviorment you added with the fridge; however, I think the shadows are a bit too soft. A yard light would serve as a better lighting atmosphere than the light your using currently. You know those yellow/orange yard lights you see on at night. I think that would look great for this piece.

# 93 25-08-2008 , 10:02 PM
Done some more work on the textures of the door, handle and logo. Changed resolution again.
https://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8127/temptd0.th.jpg

THX1138: I already had such light. I increased the intensity a bit in this render.
Arran: I'm currently working on some grass and landscape, according to your tip.

C&C please
Benny

My latest snake game
# 94 26-08-2008 , 08:51 PM

Much Progress

I've been playing around with paint effects all day yesterday (ah, the possibilities, wish I had a stronger computer...)
Added some vegetation and some fog, and spent the whole night rendering.

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4463/temphc4.th.jpg

Originally posted by me...
At this point I'm almost ready for the final render I think so any critics, no matter how small will be helpful...

This is relevant more then ever, so C&C please,
Benny

My latest snake game
# 95 26-08-2008 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
looks pretty sweet as a scene so far

to comment on the fridge itself on the side with the bent panels it looks like the grain is going horizontal but the top looks like the grain goes through a massive direction change

as for the scenery (which i'm sure Mike said isn't part of the competition, but it still looks cool, matches the fridge well) the grain on teh shed looks flat? there's something not quite right about it.

and the ground looks odd, what are those depressed grey spots? maybe you should have a dirt ground with a few pebbles on it

the paintfx looks sweet user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 96 26-08-2008 , 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
looks pretty sweet as a scene so far

Thanks

to comment on the fridge itself on the side with the bent panels it looks like the grain is going horizontal but the top looks like the grain goes through a massive direction change

Can you explain more clearly, perhaps with a sketch?

as for the scenery (which I'm sure Mike said isn't part of the competition, but it still looks cool, matches the fridge well) the grain on the shed looks flat? there's something not quite right about it.

I'm sure it can't hurt to have scenery. The entry probably won't be judged by it but it's still fun to learn, and it adds an old mood to the fridge itself.
again, can you be more specific about the shed? I need to fix the intersection with the ground there, that'll be in the next render.

and the ground looks odd, what are those depressed gray spots? maybe you should have a dirt ground with a few pebbles on it

About that, I need to fix the mid-air-floating-straw. I'm working on it now, plus I reversed the UV's on the ground and scaled it down to the render area(more resolution for the texture and less problems with shadows in the texture image). It should look better in the next render.
Pebbles are problematic to make since I've got small rocks on the texture and it'll just look weird to have real ones as well.

I'm worried about the fog though. You think it looks all right?

Benny

My latest snake game
# 97 27-08-2008 , 12:26 AM

My latest snake game
# 98 27-08-2008 , 02:00 AM
Lifetime Member
Thats a shocker ...i would never have thought that the inside of a fridge was made of wood .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 99 27-08-2008 , 03:40 AM
LOL, I wonder how much more this is going to come up...
For the third time it's a 20+ year old fridge!
and the "inside" is metal, not wood. only the exterior(frame) is made of wood...

Another render:
https://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7028/tempev6.th.jpg
I fixed all the things I mentioned three posts ago and also got rid of the fog since it was out of place.

Render time was 1H 38M(new personal record again) but after I got rid of the fog it took me 2M to re-render that area so rendering time is going to go down now. I hope.

C&C please,
Benny

EDIT: Here's my lighting:
https://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5223/temptx6.th.png

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 27-08-2008 at 03:59 AM.
# 100 27-08-2008 , 04:30 AM
Lifetime Member
I think the roof of the shed needs a little thickness as it's way too thin and as mentioned aerlier by someone else the bump on the shed wall is not looking great, there seems to be no gaps between the planks because there is no depth between.
I think the reason people question the wood frame is because I for one have never seen a wooden frame on a fridge and can't imagine it to be strong enough to hold the metal interior and weight inside the fridge.
On plus note the render is getting there but you need an evironment dome to make use of the chrome since there is nothing to reflect but the grey background.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 101 27-08-2008 , 05:00 AM
The problem with the roof is not the thickness but the lack of it... Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I also increased the spacing between the planks a bit. I'll see how it looks before I do anything with the bump map.
About the last tip (environment dome) : user added image user added image user added image Is it some kind of an image plane? I've seen such stuff being done but I have no idea how to go it. Can you post a tutorial or something please?

:attn: 100 posts mark!
has a challenge thread been this big before or am I just hyperactive?

Edit: New render:
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6553/tempeh5.th.jpg
Render time is now only 29:39 ! :attn: (F***ING FLUIDS user added image )
C&C please,
Benny

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 27-08-2008 at 05:30 AM.
# 102 27-08-2008 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber
I've attached what i mean with the wood grain
i hope it makes sense... i just quickly did it in paint

i think jsprogg explained what i meant to say about the shed

and tbh, i didn't actually notice there was fog user added image you should just render it in a seperate layer and then just composite it on afterwards so all you will be rendering are the objects

and about the sky dome, i haven't got an answer because i never seen it before either... just heard about it, although i think ragecgi has one in his render layers tutorial but it's not the focus of it, so maybe you'll have to google 'sky dome tutorial' or something

Attached Images

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 103 27-08-2008 , 04:56 PM
I shouldn't.
The plywood is chipped from the top so the grain some-why changes in that area.
I'm not making it up by the way:
https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9422/tempyf9.th.jpg
Best pic I could find... It's pretty clear though.
Thanks anyway :bow: .

I've got one month to go and I don't know what else to work on user added image ... C&C (especially critics) are highly welcome.
I'm still waiting for a tip about that environment dome ore whatever it is...
Benny

My latest snake game
# 104 28-08-2008 , 04:05 AM
19 year Veteran
BennyK, are you using the standard maya software renderer or mentalray to render this with?

# 105 28-08-2008 , 01:12 PM
I'm using Maya software. I tried mentalray but I didn't notice any difference. What is the difference?
Benny

My latest snake game