Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-01-2009 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber

viewCube interpretation

Usually when something doesn't seem right to me, it's usually my lack of understanding the system. So here's my next question;

user added image

How come the viewCube looks like either the right side label should say left... OR... the front & back should be swapped?

If, in your minds eye, you superimpose an object (say a car) in the cube above, the car's left door would actually be on the side of the cube labeled right.

I find myself rotating my front camera 180 degrees so the image planes are correct but that's alot of setup work & it makes me think I missing something here.

Last edited by shazen; 05-01-2009 at 12:15 AM.
# 2 05-01-2009 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
I'm not sure the picture made it to the previous post. It is attached to this reply

Attached Images
# 3 05-01-2009 , 12:25 AM
Senior Software Developer
The cube is designed so that you look at the object from the rear and not the front...

stand behind it and the front left and right are correct...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 05-01-2009 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
I did consider that. However, then the right camera does not follow suit as it is placed on the +x axis and views its side of the cube without looking through it. I wonder why they would do it one way with one camera and another with another camera.

(edit) I bet that's my mis-understanding. I assumed the 'side' camera was a 'right side' camera since it was placed on the +X axis. It probably defaults to a 'left side' camera that you have to look through the cube like the front cam. I had a right side picture of the physical object I'm modeling and placed it into the 'side' cam and the issue ensued. I bet if I took a left side pic of my object (it isn't symmetrical) and placed it into the 'side' image plane, it would work like it's supposed too.(/edit)

Last edited by shazen; 05-01-2009 at 01:02 AM.