Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 10-04-2003 , 10:36 PM
Your zip file is corrupted or something...

Any chance you could upload it again?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 17 11-04-2003 , 01:01 AM
delete it, and rezip your DivX avi.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 18 11-04-2003 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber
<------okay re-Divxed and recompressed----->
this one should work

okay you need divx 5 just like the SimplyTutorials. It is free.
www.divx5.com/divx

Okay some C&C guys!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 15-04-2003 at 03:11 AM.
# 19 11-04-2003 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Aphex
is that a fish?

nope a spaceship

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 20 11-04-2003 , 05:59 AM
very nice indeed

# 21 11-04-2003 , 02:47 PM
Cooluser added image Reminds me of the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" style of fx!

Cool.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 22 11-04-2003 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
hehe hope that movie wasn't made to long ago, but i guess its not bad that a 19 year old can do on his (533 mhz 256mb RAM) crappy old computer, what it took holywood and a HUGE budget!

# 23 11-04-2003 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
hehehe, just for concept. My director wanted to see.

# 24 12-04-2003 , 05:57 AM
lookin gkewl sitll..what program u using to put the footage together with?

# 25 12-04-2003 , 06:54 AM
Subscriber
Adobe After Effects for compositing, Premier for editing.

# 26 13-04-2003 , 04:00 PM

critique of spaceships

HI, just checked out your stuff... Uh, did you UV map that thing?... i mean the upclose shots one, not sure if it's the same as the saucer one... textures look like they are laying on there a little weird? Makes it look sort of flat. But i know it's still in progress, so sorry if i'm telling you things you already know!

Uh, so can we know what movie this is for?

Also, maybe for that laser-blob stuff that's coming out of the thing should be brightest-white near the mouth of the machine [where it is most concentrated and hot] and most colorful and fading out near the end of the flame

And the pics with the lights showing from the bottom of the spaceship look too noisey. Not sure how you are making them so don't know what to offer for advice to fix it... if it's a map, maybe you don't have filtering turned on? or maybe you rendered with low anti-aliasing. Or your texture map [if that's what you are using] is too low res and pixelating.??

looking good though! please don't take any criticisms negatively... just trying to help you! best of luck.

j...

# 27 13-04-2003 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
I agree with Lady_J its a very busy pic. Have u just done some post in photoshop or is that actually a texture? I dunno if maybe ur bump is set at too low a value or what. What size is ur texture map? Personally I create all mine at least 512 x 512 pixels - gives a bit of space to work with.

Im really impressed with what u have done actually. One little improvement maybe to add more lights to the bottom of the UFO. For example take a look at Close Encounters of the Third Kind and see how that works out. No doubt ur using Independance Day as reference so I guess u'll know what i mean. Cool work vectorman user added image

oh and as far as the video footage goes, I think ur pretty much stuck with it im afraid...its all down to the quality of camera/film u shot it with. Im sure u can prob do something in Premiere or Shake to clean it up and remove scratches etc but its not gonna be a great improvement.

Last edited by alexgc; 13-04-2003 at 06:30 PM.
# 28 13-04-2003 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber
Let me start off by saying THANK YOU FOR YOU CC. I would never get offended.

I'm not sure yet how to UV map it! I'd like to learn tho, since the texture on the smaller ships is actually the same one that was made for the mother ship, i was thinking about learning the UV stuff and kinda using photoshop stamp to make it. Actually i didn't even do the textures myself (i did everything else tho). They were done by greg sandor my texture guy(i mentioned this on the first post).

The movie (and this is all I really know) Is a low(very)-budget slapstick type comedy. And bout halfway through the movie aliens attack! How funny is that? I dunno the director is a wicked funny guy, and this is the best movie hes ever done, so it should be good.

Jen, if you know anything about particles (its a simple directional emmiter) and if you know how to do that please let me know. I am new to them and did this with only the knowledge i was givin from the free "Fire Ring" tutorial (on simplymaya.com). So i thought i did a decent job. Although that obviously makes alot of sense.

On the mother ship, its a Very detailed Tex, bump, and specular maps actually. So i'm rendering a large picture with Production Anti-Aliasing tell me what you think. I could show you guys the bump and spec maps too if you like.

Okay, and you said more lights, you mean lights from the ship? I was planning on making a lumnescent map, but haven't yet. Right now it just has a bunch of colored point lights.

Heres the colour map

Last edited by Vectorman; 15-04-2003 at 08:33 AM.
# 29 13-04-2003 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber
How did you know about ID4?? Actually I am using that as a ref, and its been fun. The director wants to blow up the barn (the building i posted a few back) the same way they kill the White house, it should be funny. Not sure how to do the laser, i was thinking of a high intensity particle emmiter, that was rigged to be EXTREMELY directional, and just set a key on the RATE (particles per second)

Um also about the video, i was talking about my ANIMATION of the two ships, not the video quality. Its poor because i compressed it so yall could see. I got the nice ones over here.

Heres a HIGH RES pic of the lights, does it still look too "noisy"? If so please fill me in a little more on what you mean. Also refer to the very first post for a different angle, and normal lighting.

Last edited by Vectorman; 13-04-2003 at 07:44 PM.
# 30 13-04-2003 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Vectorman
i was talking about my ANIMATION of the two ships, not the video quality.

ahh I get ya...what u need to do is render the animation as Tiff or Targa images rather than directly as an .avi file...Then u can use external software like shake (or Video Mach which is freeeee) to piece it alltogether as an .avi file...that way, u dont have such a huge file which u have to compress to f*ck...excuse the language but i hate compression soooo sooo much