Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 25-02-2011 , 08:36 PM
Nice work Dave.

Here's an update of Professor X. The mouth/chin area isn't quite right yet as well as some other areas but maybe I'm being too much of a profectionist right now.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 32 25-02-2011 , 08:55 PM
The thin red line
Nice work perfecto
Try bringing in more photos from differant angles, saying that I need to do that with mine. When you start texturing that will bring out a lot of the detail.........dave

# 33 25-02-2011 , 09:06 PM
That's a good idea. I modeled him from his younger years but now since this is X-Men, it might not look quite right haha.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 34 25-02-2011 , 11:29 PM
The thin red line
Should have said that idea was from mayanic some time ago, still looking for more people to join in maya or zbrush (or any app) users, there are lot of xmen left to do........dave

Last edited by daverave; 25-02-2011 at 11:32 PM.
# 35 26-02-2011 , 12:10 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks good Perfecto....keep it up man...I admire you guys who can do organics.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 36 26-02-2011 , 12:27 AM
The thin red line
Bullet I do understand that if you have a bad experence with organics it might put you of but from my experiance modelling is modelling I wish I could help in some way.......dave

# 37 26-02-2011 , 01:08 AM
Thanks Bullet, and I agree with daverave. Hard surface modeling, organics, it's all the same to me. The only difference is that you need the mesh to flow in such a way that the model can deform correctly for animation. Hard surface modeling you don't have to worry bout as much. For me, the key to organic modeling is knowing the correct topology. Like anything though, practice makes perfect.

Exceed Expectations!
# 38 26-02-2011 , 01:39 AM
Lifetime Member
I know you are both right, but for some reason a machine to me is so much easier than a face...like planes etc...its just imprinted in my mind...probably from when I used to make model kits (by the hundreds)...even though you see faces and bodies every day..I dunno LOL it just seems easier. Yes perfecto thats probably part of the problem...topology...I gues I will get there...once the Feb challenge is over I wont be in anymore challenges...I will finish Ramsay...I need to really get that one done. Being the worlds biggest procrastinator (though I work most hours LOL)...doesnt help.

Whilst scouring for babyduck (still looking) for the X-Jet....I found this page!!! wow and cheap too...some even in CAD!! dont know if its any use to you guys?

https://www.up-ship.com/

Dont worry dave, Im sure all of you will get enough questions from me and crits back to me in the future...I really want to do it in Maya first before I head to Z....

cheers bullet

EDIT: BTW dave...this guy on the site struck the master copy for the kit you posted.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 26-02-2011 at 01:41 AM.
# 39 26-02-2011 , 02:06 AM
Subscriber
sry guys, been a while.

here is a update/beginning. started doing the body of the x-jet. missing 4 of the wings yet. and looking at the x-jet - lol about hard surface modeling - the only hard faces i see on the x-jet might be the lines around cockpit. unless all non-organic is considered hard surface - not sure.

user added image

crits welcome - don't be too harsh - its my first model in years .... user added image

duckie

p.s.: call me duckie - i prefer that over BabyDuck

p.p.s.: how do i insert a picture instead of the small thumbnail with the big preview thumbnail like all the other posts?

# 40 26-02-2011 , 02:17 AM
Lifetime Member
That looks good duckie??? LOL Im think of bloody David McCallum now......that looks sweet.

to insert pic....when you 'post reply' underneath you will see 'manage attachments' click on there and you can upload up to 5 images.

Looks ok for some one who hasnt ridden the Maya bike for a while!!

bullet1968

# 41 26-02-2011 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
thank you bullet,

and i do that - to insert the images as attachment i mean. but when i actually insert a attachment into the post it does the little little thumbnail - or do i need to attach an image and NOT insert it with the attachment button ???? oh and yes "duckie" is much better user added image

duckie

# 42 26-02-2011 , 02:44 AM
Lifetime Member
see the attached duckie. When you get to the window pop up for attachments...browse the HD for the image...then press upload and wait...then scroll down and close that window...it should all upload fine.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 43 26-02-2011 , 02:47 AM
Lifetime Member
P.S duckie...its a screen grab? I do that then paste in 'paint' then just save as a jpeg and upload through the above instructions....they come out fine usually

bullet1968

# 44 26-02-2011 , 05:41 AM
Subscriber
yeah it was infact a screengrab. did not notice that paint in win7 saves as png by default. saving out of renderview and saving as jpeg afterwards.

small update - added the wings and used the vray sun/sky for the render w/ gi. lights it up nice, but not really any better than hardware render user added image

and yay - the thumbnail works now - thank you bullet user added image

duckie

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 26-02-2011 , 07:08 AM
The thin red line
Nice start Duckie
You were wright that does look very much like a blackbird, were did you get the refs?....dave