Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-03-2004 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber

First .......... Anything

Well ......... Here goes. This is my first attempt at anything in Maya. I have attempted a tutorial from Gary Lewis and Jim Lammers book "Maya 5 Fundamentals" which I bought last weekend, (a book I can very much recommend). ....... and here it is so far ........ be kind to me :nervous:
It is done in extruded polygons.
I can't work out how to get rid of the annoying pink dots though, and I wanted to post a converted polygon to subdivision pic, but it seems to only want to smooth one part only, I made sure all items were selected, but no go ...... *sigh* .... I have a lot to learn yet.

Attached Thumbnails

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.

Last edited by sarge40; 08-03-2004 at 01:44 PM.
# 2 08-03-2004 , 01:31 PM
post jpgs not BMPs they are huge files (comparitively speaking).

Upload a different pic and you will get more responses user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 09-03-2004 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
yeah well that was well received I see .......... *sigh*

This is actually very hard to do isn't it.

:disap:

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.
# 4 09-03-2004 , 12:20 PM
it's actually not a bad model so far. I think that you need to pay more attention to the nose detailing but apart from that it's clean and well proportioned.

One question is though why are you using mspaint to make your pics? why dont you render them in maya as jpgs?

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 09-03-2004 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
sarge... dont be discouraged; it is a steep learning curve but your model looks good. Maybe you could try rendering it and posting it (as a jpeg user added image ) on the here... you'll get many more responses that way.

As for the pink dots... these are one of the display options when you are in component mode. By default, in polygon component mode you can select faces, edges, vertices (the pink dots), and vertex faces. You can switch back to object mode by pressing F8. This will allow you to select and manipulate the entire mesh as a single entity.

Keep it up and let's see some renders...

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 6 09-03-2004 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
getting there ............

can't attach files for some reason ....... did I do a bad thing?

I would render them in Maya ......... if I knew how ........ user added image

Last edited by sarge40; 09-03-2004 at 01:08 PM.
# 7 09-03-2004 , 01:35 PM
Subscriber
Getting a render in Maya is quite straightforward. I'll give you the steps to do it with default lighting:

(1) Frame your model nicely in your viewport.
(2) Switch to the Rendering menu set by pressing F5
(3) Select the following menu path: Render->Render Current Frame...

A window (Render View) will pop-up and, shortly afterwards, your image will be rendered.

You can then save your image directly from the Render View by clicking File -> Save Image...

Edit: I strongly recommend doing a search in the Maya documentation for "Render View", this will give you all the useful features of this window.

Once you have the hang of this basic rendering, I suggest downloading Mike McKinley's 3 Point Lighting tutorial which will teach you a simple lighting scheme to make your renders much nicer.

To post the images as attachments to messages on this site, you need to click the Post Reply button (see below), this will take you to a more detailed posting page.

The post reply button looks like this:

Attached Images

Last edited by rich; 09-03-2004 at 01:39 PM.
# 8 09-03-2004 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
Also, you may want to read up (in the Maya docs) on the basic, useful lights, such as Point Light, Directional Light, Area Light, and Spot Light. Play around with them and see the difference they make to your renders.