Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-07-2004 , 09:21 PM

New to maya, help

Hi this is my first post, im new to maya and I was wondering where I should get started. Are there any good online tutorials for begginers or a good book witch will get me into the groove of things.
Also do you guys recomend the videos here for begginers, im thinking of getting some points.

Thanks

Last edited by squeeky; 29-07-2004 at 10:00 PM.
# 2 30-07-2004 , 08:05 AM
Subscriber
The free tutorials here are good to start with... It gives you a solid base to build your maya-knowledge user added image After that, you maybe can get the Apache Tutorial (begin to end, modelling and texturing) for hard-surface modelling and maybe then you can get the Olifant modelling tut for organic modelling (or the organic modelling DVD)

A good book to start with, is "Learning Maya Foundation" from sybex. It covers the basics of modelling, texturing, lighting, animation and dynamics.
Not very in-depth on all these subjects, but gives you a good foundation. If you want more in-depth knowledge of the specific parts of maya, you can get the learning maya books. (eg. Learning Maya: Dynamic, or Learning Maya: Rendering)

whatever!
# 3 30-07-2004 , 07:42 PM
thanks I appreciate it im starting to work on the dog tutorial.

# 4 30-07-2004 , 07:58 PM
Hi,

The tutorials that come with Maya are a great place to start.

sj

# 5 30-07-2004 , 08:00 PM
well I do have a basic knowledge by just messing around with maya and looking at the tutorials

# 6 31-07-2004 , 06:15 PM
yep same here, i am almost done the dog tutorial, and i also created a human hand, and some robot.

# 7 31-07-2004 , 08:18 PM
I started about a month ago.
I tried reading the learning maya series but it's too informative (i think) for a beginner, and it's quite borring.
BUT, Instant maya, which is the documentation that comes with maya, is great for getting you up and running.
If you are as broke as i am and you cannot afford the Great tuts here, i recommend going to www.3dbuzz.com and downloading the beginner's video tutorials there which are also very good.

# 8 31-07-2004 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
www.learningmaya.com is pretty cool. I agree learning maya was too hard to understand. They skip some steps and talk about stuff i dont even understand. user added image

# 9 02-08-2004 , 05:40 PM
well thanks for all the input im almost done with the dog tutorial and gonna move onto the hand afterword but im gonna check out some of those sites. thanks again