Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-05-2007 , 01:59 AM

Paint Effects crisis

I'm losing my mind. Every tutorial I can find about using paint effects on an object's surface makes it sound incredibly easy: make the object paintable, get a brush from the visor, make sure that "paint scene" and "paint on paintable objects" are checked, and paint away. But my brush strokes always go right through my intended object. What am I missing? This is Day Two of trying not to punch my computer. Thanks.

# 2 27-07-2007 , 03:47 AM
I recently tried the paint effects brushes so try this. Create a poly box. Press the number 6. Then with the box selected goto Paint Effects>Make Paintable. Then goto Paint Effects>Get Brush (Or something like that). Pick out a brush and then hold the cursor over the box and start making strokes. I did this exact thing and I had no problems.

I didn't have to click on any "paint scene" or "paint on selectable" so I'm not sure what those are at the moment (I'm at work). I use Maya 8.5 so maybe it's different for me if you have an older version of Maya.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 27-07-2007 , 04:03 AM
Think that problem is the UV's.

Whats happening is that when your painting the strokes your actualy painting the strokes positions based on the UV's, if youve modeled and then painted your UV's will be overlapping hence the problem. UV map then paint the strokes (as the way I think of it its part of texturing).

If you open the UV editor it propable will look like a jumbeled mess, thats the problem, lay out the UV's (either auto map or go the full hog and do the full lot) andthen give it a go.

Hope it helps

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle