Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-05-2003 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber

monster for animation

well, i said that i dont want to start another wip thread here before it is finished. but i am confident that i get the animation together - even if that will take months. i started with the main character (probably the only living thing on the animation). here is what i have so far. mouth, eyebrows, texture, rigging ... is still missing. oh and the goal for me is that he looks cute.

c and c welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-05-2003 , 01:53 AM
Simply Maya OG
Haha, looks great man. He's got a big gut, which stants out abit, because of his flat chest. But other than that, he looks nice user added image

- Hybrid
# 3 27-05-2003 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the feedback. maybe i should make his breast a bit fuller. actualy i tried that, but if i make it more like a fat person he looks too much like a female. and i did not want him look ugly fat either. not sure yet how i will animate his belly. maybe a softbody or jiggle deformer or spending an extra bone just for the belly (nobody tells you to create realistic skeletons, right).

and if somebody cares - him his a subd character. the low poly version has a bit less than 800 mostly quads (a few unavoidable triangles). why not just smooth him out as poly? i thought about that, but decided against it as it would just create a too high poly count.

# 4 28-05-2003 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber

little update

worked a bit on the eyes and tried to close the lids - what you think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 28-05-2003 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
not happy with the lips. i tried all. now i give up on that and on to teeth, tongue, and ears. then i can do blendshaping - that will be fun user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-05-2003 , 03:05 PM
BabyDuck. I really like the body of your character.. I would definetly think that the lip area needs a little more attention... and because he is so tall, maybe narrowing the lower part of it face (cheaks) alittle bit. Looks good though, nice start,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 7 28-05-2003 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
thanks. i will come back to the lip and mouth area later - right now i cannot see it no more. narrowing and squashing the lower part of face i will try out - and maybe shortening the neck some user added image

thanks for the comment user added image

# 8 28-05-2003 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
oh yucc, i just seen how the lips were in last shot. it was worth to spend some time making plastic surgery to the lips. now i like them. only thing, after the nice eyes and lips i think i have to make the nose look better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 28-05-2003 , 07:48 PM
lol, no matter what I do, I am never finnished it seams... there is no end user added image
Brian

Btw it looks better. user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 10 29-05-2003 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
had some fun with creating a procedural shading network for the skin. it is a layed shader with 4 layers. lighted only by a directional light.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 29-05-2003 , 03:11 PM
Simply Maya OG
He looks like a big giant plastic-rock man now user added image

- Hybrid
# 12 29-05-2003 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by I-Iybrid
He looks like a big giant plastic-rock man now user added image

oh well, he is not human anyway - so i can make him the way i want to.

but i might reduce the highlights a bit - have to see how he will look ín his native environment (a coal mine). but for this i need the environment first.

thanks

# 13 29-05-2003 , 05:01 PM
Maybre be shorten the feet a bit.. look good for animtion..... I'll be doing a simply charcter thsi week for some simple animaiton for my reel....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 14 29-05-2003 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
thanks kurt. the feet look like dead rubber gloves - and the ankles need work and definition. in a front shot it looks ugly. maybe it will look better then he is more human in the feet and length of arms (except the 3 fingers only). many things i would usually not notice if someone else would not point them out.

and a main difference between you and me: if you say simple character, it is simple compared to the really awesome ones you usually do. if i do a simple character it is what my capabilities are right now - but i keep learning as well as you do.

# 15 29-05-2003 , 05:50 PM
Simply Maya OG
heh, simple for ME is a guy made out of just cubes. 1 for the leg, 1 for the arm, 1 for the foot, 1 for the hand, ect. :puser added image

- Hybrid