SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Rigid/Smooth Bind

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

07-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
cosmos

Rigid/Smooth Bind
Hello mates! Another one from me..
Here's the deal:
I did a tutorial were an organic(humanoid) model uses a smooth bind for skinning;
Now I've created a robot and asked myself if rigid bind is more apropriate for this kind of model but since I have no idea what it does and only used the smooth bind on the tut, i'm kind of scared using it.
The bottom line: What's the difference betwen rigid/smooth bind. (is it how it affects the weights on the geometry?)

Thanks in advance!
07-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
bendingiscool
Subscriber

Basically the difference between the two is that a rigid bind means the mesh/skin is only effected by one joint. In the case of your robot, rigid binding may be the way to go as you probably only want limited mesh movement.

CHris
07-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
cosmos

yup! limited mesh movement that's what I want!:blush:

Thanks alot for the quick reply!
Cheers!