SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / From Maya to Zbrush

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

07-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
gubar

From Maya to Zbrush
HI all,

more af a zbrush than a maya question, but posting here because I've tried the zbrush forums and they're so slow.

I've got a character model, one piece from head to toe. In zbrush, a subdivision level high enough is too slow. So, I've googled and read tuts on how to sort this but still can't figure it out.

I want to be able to selectively work on different parts of my model so I can subdivide further; I've tried with quick select sets (head, torso, leftArm, rightArm) which seem to be recognised (maya says my object has "x" groups) but they don't work when I try to split polygoups.

Even tried downloading mudbox trial, which crashes when I subdivide (got a couple of tris, which I just can't get rid of, think these are to blame).

If someone could explain how I can divide up my mesh in zbrush to allow me to work more efficiently at high subd levels, I'd be very grateful. Spent all day yesterday and had no luck.

thanks,

gubar
07-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
gster123

Cant you just hide the parts that you dont want to use? Thats what I do if it gets too slow.

How high are you going with it?
07-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
gubar

Hi there,

since it's a whole torso, a couple of million. The legs are completely fine since they won't be seen... I hadn't thought about what you suggest, as simple as it sounds... I don't have zbrush in front of me just now - so you can just divide, it'll get slow, but then just show the part you're working on?

It sounds so simple I can't believe I never tried it... should have been the first thing I tried.

thanks again gster,

gubar