Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-05-2014 , 10:20 AM

What is the HULL collision shape, how is it different from MESH collision shape?

Hi,

I am learning Maya Bullet dynamics.

Maya Bullet seems to have limitations regarding the Passive rigid body collision shape.
If object is animated, it cannot have "mesh" as collision shape. (why..?)
So it seems I need to learn alternative methods?
I need a necklace that stays on an animated characters neck, behaving naturally
Maybe building up a proxy body from cylinders, and use either hull or cylinder collision shape.

Two questions:

1) what is Hull collision shape exactly? (I am not english, I looked up the word, but still not clear)

2) If I build up a proxy body from squeezed cylinders (oval rather than circular at the base):
a) the Hull collision shape will be the same as these squeezed cylinders or it will be something else?
b) if I choose cylinder as collision shape, and not hull, is Bullet going to take into account that it is not a regular cylinder, but oval on the base?
c) is there a way to preview the Hull shape?

Thanks!