Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-11-2008 , 02:59 PM

colorizing

how do i make an object have more than one color?
if i have a space ship how do i put more than one color?

JoSh
# 2 11-11-2008 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
you can't

i'm kidding
there are way too many ways to do it

you can select a face and assign a new material to it

you can use ramp shaders

you can use texture mapping (the most common way to add detail without increasing geometry)

use solid texture synthesis (not a perfected technique yet)

you can assign procedual solid textures (not as fancy as solid txture synthesis and takes a long time before you get something reasonable)

you can't use vertex colouring, which i think is really weird

in short your answer is to assign materials to faces or use texture mapping

i figure you dont know what that means (or you wouldnt be asking) so i direct you to the inbuilt tutorials that come with maya and this one here at this site
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=94

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 11-11-2008 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber
id suggest buying a book on the basics.., no sarcasm meant but if you dont know the answer.., best do some hands on learning.., i mean even the movies at the maya stat up explain shading.

see if you can find a cheap one.., even maya 4.., the priniples are not really different unless you are doing advanced shading, which at theis stage you are not. user added image

good luck

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 11-11-2008 , 08:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
joshmanlegoman

Im shocked that someone comes to a site full of tutorials and asks a question of this type. Check out the training on offer. Regardless of whatever version they were created as the principles and the tools remain pretty much the same. I'd also suggest looking at the maya help documentation as thats going to be right on hand and give you the absolute basics.

heres a gamut of stuff. https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...mhtml?cat_id=4

If theres still nothing of your liking, and if its still not what you want then do what Chirone and Mirek have suggested or scan the web.

Jay

# 5 12-11-2008 , 06:39 AM
i'm a beginner :headbang:
but i'll get those movies:p

JoSh