Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-11-2002 , 01:52 PM
Kevin

mac users: converting .wmv to avi?

any of you guys know of a good piece of software that will do this, as we have a mac user in the vip area that is having trouble viewing the movies.

or any mac user downloaded the hand tutorial and found a way to stop the movie stuttering?

mac users...i need your help user added image

many thanks

# 2 02-11-2002 , 04:09 PM
Kevin
bump user added image

# 3 03-11-2002 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

I'm a VIP member and have had problems viewing the tutorials using the Mac. Unfortunately Microsoft has done a very poor job of implementing the media player for the mac especially under MacOSX and under version 9 to, causing the video and audio to be completely out of sync i.e about 1 minute out of sync in some cases, making the tutorials unusable in there current state.

So what I do is convert them to AVI using a program called STOIK which is for the PC, So I use virtualPC. As the AVI is a lot bigger than the WMV movie I then convert them to MPEG 4 to reduce the size. All this is unfortunate as the WMV is a very good format. But until Microsoft addresses these issues then this is the workaround i have developed to help me watch these very good tutorials.

Hope this helps in some way

# 4 03-11-2002 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
Just a suggestion, how about encoding the tutorial movies using DIVX which can be easily be played on the mac using a program called VLC and many programs on the PC. Kevin if you want any help with this just let us know and I can either let you know what would work with the mac or test them out for you.

# 5 03-11-2002 , 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Ian
Just a suggestion, how about encoding the tutorial movies using DIVX which can be easily be played on the mac using a program called VLC and many programs on the PC. Kevin if you want any help with this just let us know and I can either let you know what would work with the mac or test them out for you.

I would have to agree with the DIVX format, or if you want to go further you could go with Apple´s Quicktime format. There´s no workaround around that one, and it can be seen on whichever platform you want. I for instance try to download all reels in Quicktime, they seem to have a nice quality to them.

# 6 03-11-2002 , 10:29 AM
QT would be nice. I have no clue what are they using to create them for example at www.totaltraining.com but the file sizes are small and the picture/audio quality is very nice. One other neat thing about qt movies is that they can be rewinded without a hitch which isn't the case with wmv or divx.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!