Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 25-01-2011 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber

Gamming, Movies

What i would love too see for a tutorials would be.
1)Armor
2)Wepons, other then a sword
3)Sheild, etc..........
Stuff that can be used for gamming and movies.
See i cant' afford to go a college so not knowing whats' the right way or the wrong way to creat item the gamming or movie world would be great. so i hope anyone of you guys can creat these items and descibe what it take to make it for theses buisnees. This is only a wish and thank you. Tom

# 32 25-01-2011 , 02:40 PM
Could you plz give some tutorials on syflex for maya

# 33 25-01-2011 , 03:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Theres already a rifle tute

# 34 09-08-2011 , 12:46 PM
Subscriber
I would like to see some advanced physics simulation tutorials in Maya. I mean, more than just a bouncing ball. I'm thinking along the lines of a car engine with a rotating crankshaft and working pistons, turning gears in a transmission, turning a drive shaft which drives gears in a rear differential which turns the wheels which makes the car move forward. All driven by fields that push down on the pistons at the correct times. Also, a simulated steering system, and a simple shifting mechanism to reverse the drive shaft rotation without having to reverse the engine rotation.

All done with rigid bodies, each part's movement caused by another part - pure physics, no cheating with constraints or key frames. Of course, one would want to bake the animation at some point, but that's not the point of the tutorial.

That's just an example. It need not be a car. Just something that really covers most of the "gotchas" on physics sims. It may seem like too much on paper, but I don't see that it's any more tedious than say, the victorian house tut (which is an excellent beginner tut, btw user added image ).

Pretty please? user added image

# 35 09-08-2011 , 01:48 PM
It wouldnt even be done with a physics sim in a production house. It would be all scripted and driven.

J

# 36 09-08-2011 , 03:58 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hi if its possible to have a commandline rendering tutorial for maya 2010 and upwards

# 37 09-08-2011 , 06:46 PM
SM Tea Boy

Hi if its possible to have a commandline rendering tutorial for maya 2010 and upwards

I'll take that one I'll even put it out free user added image Expect it in the next week or so.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 38 09-08-2011 , 06:49 PM
SM Tea Boy
@danielames

Not going to happen with Maya, as Jay said just not the way it's done. However we do have some more Dynamics tutorials planed hopefully that will get you going in the right direction.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 39 10-08-2011 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber

Any requests please put them in here thanks.

Dave user added image

I would love to see more Maya dynamics, rigging, more realistic texturing, animation and batch rendering.

I think...user added image heck, I'll probably buy the tutorial anyway no matter what it is about!user added image

# 40 15-08-2011 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber

@danielames

Not going to happen with Maya, as Jay said just not the way it's done. However we do have some more Dynamics tutorials planed hopefully that will get you going in the right direction.

Dave user added image

Fair enough. So how about this... a tut that will do something complex like what I mentioned, but done like a professional studio would do it - all scripted and driven, as J said.

My ulterior motive is, (you guessed it), I'm trying to make a complex sim with many moving parts, with each part's behavior relying on another part further up the "chain", if you will. About a week has passed since I posted the original tut suggestion, and I've since successfully made the sim with scripting and animation clips. It was all a crash course for me, but I learned a TON! Lots of research, reading the docs, trial and error, etc. My only saving grace was that I'm already a programmer so it didn't take me long to start banging out scripts to control everything.

BUT!... I'm still a Maya n00b, and as such, I'm really left wondering if I did it 'right', or if the way I did it is the most inefficient, newbie mess as ever there was. user added image I'll be doing a lot more of this kind of simulation from here on, so if I could see how it's done by a real pro, I'm positive that it would dramatically improve my workflow.

Anyway, I know it's a lot to ask. Thanks for the chance to make a suggestion!

# 41 16-08-2011 , 09:10 AM
I sure it could be done, but not from myself...I dont script unfortunately, well a little but not in a big way to make that work

J

# 42 20-08-2011 , 08:23 AM
Administrator

Fair enough. So how about this... a tut that will do something complex like what I mentioned, but done like a professional studio would do it - all scripted and driven, as J said.

My ulterior motive is, (you guessed it), I'm trying to make a complex sim with many moving parts, with each part's behavior relying on another part further up the "chain", if you will. About a week has passed since I posted the original tut suggestion, and I've since successfully made the sim with scripting and animation clips. It was all a crash course for me, but I learned a TON! Lots of research, reading the docs, trial and error, etc. My only saving grace was that I'm already a programmer so it didn't take me long to start banging out scripts to control everything.

BUT!... I'm still a Maya n00b, and as such, I'm really left wondering if I did it 'right', or if the way I did it is the most inefficient, newbie mess as ever there was. user added image I'll be doing a lot more of this kind of simulation from here on, so if I could see how it's done by a real pro, I'm positive that it would dramatically improve my workflow.

Anyway, I know it's a lot to ask. Thanks for the chance to make a suggestion!

Hi danielames, check this out because I think you'll found it interesting and I just spent seven minutes finding it for you user added image

https://graphics.pixar.com/library/An...Cook/paper.pdf

In chapter 1 there's a lot of information about how they went about simulating vegetables and garbage, and it's quite fascinating how much time and how many people work on something most people would never think there was much to when they went to the cinema. This is Pixar of course and the budget is huge, but the point here is that both small and large studios will find custom solutions to complex simulations so there is no industry right way to do it, it's what works best and renders faster. Also Maya is used for film and tv so accuracy is not so important, if you were doing this for a car manufacturer that wanted it to be exact you'd be using cad based software or something else.

If you post up your work in the WIP section you'll probably get some good tips from other people in terms of workflow as it's more specific.

# 43 20-08-2011 , 07:45 PM
Technical Director

I would like to see some advanced physics simulation tutorials in Maya. I mean, more than just a bouncing ball. I'm thinking along the lines of a car engine with a rotating crankshaft and working pistons, turning gears in a transmission, turning a drive shaft which drives gears in a rear differential which turns the wheels which makes the car move forward. All driven by fields that push down on the pistons at the correct times. Also, a simulated steering system, and a simple shifting mechanism to reverse the drive shaft rotation without having to reverse the engine rotation.

All done with rigid bodies, each part's movement caused by another part - pure physics, no cheating with constraints or key frames. Of course, one would want to bake the animation at some point, but that's not the point of the tutorial.

That's just an example. It need not be a car. Just something that really covers most of the "gotchas" on physics sims. It may seem like too much on paper, but I don't see that it's any more tedious than say, the victorian house tut (which is an excellent beginner tut, btw user added image ).

Pretty please? user added image

This would be quite simple actually if you used constraints smartly. Mostly just orient and aim constraints.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 44 22-08-2011 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber

Hi danielames, check this out because I think you'll found it interesting and I just spent seven minutes finding it for you user added image

Thanks! I just read the first chapter and you're absolutely right about me finding it interesting! Ratatoulle is definitely one of my favorites and the explanations in the pdf are as fascinating as the movie itself. user added image I will definitely apply some of the principles into my own work later on.

If you post up your work in the WIP section you'll probably get some good tips from other people in terms of workflow as it's more specific.

Done: https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36209

Thanks again, Miss_Nova! I really appreciate it. user added image

# 45 22-08-2011 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber

This would be quite simple actually if you used constraints smartly. Mostly just orient and aim constraints.

Hmmm... interesting... I'll definitely have to tinker around with your idea. I have very very little experience with constraints. If you don't mind, please see the project I just posted in the WIP area: https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36209. This will give you a better idea of the kind of sims I'm going for. I wonder if this project would be an ideal candidate for constraints?

Thanks, NextDesign!