Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 11-12-2010 , 05:36 PM
Administrator
daverave: I'm not sure exactly how you'd like it executed, but me and Dave had an idea a few months back that's quite cool. What we wanted to do as we live in Prague which is a very pretty place was to make a video of a scene like the one below and then have a thopter model come splashing onto the water and flying through it. It would include a lot of dynamics and have to be done in matchmover I think so it's a David task but he could pull it off he's good. It's definitely a few months down the line because creating the scene would take a lot of time, and we want to make some dashing tutorials rather than your typical simple stuff that a lot of places sell.

honestdom: That's really interesting, I believe David already sent you a pm. Compositing's really tricky, I've been trying to composite images onto the windows of one of my interior scenes and getting it too look realistc for the blur when you have DOF and getting the colors and lighting in an image to work with the 3d scene is so hard. I'm up to trial image 150 I think now, and I still don't have what I want.

Rhetoric Camel: Task for Jay in the future maybeuser added image I agree with you completely pulling off any sort of realistic model is really difficult and time consuming. I've noticed it a lot lately when I've been building the environments for my lighting tuts and this is fairly simple modeling compared to a dog, small details make a huge difference to how well things come out once you start to shade and light. Look forward to following your scene on the forum though, it's always interesting with these projects where people put in lots of time.

Nilla

Attached Images
# 17 11-12-2010 , 05:42 PM
Lifetime Member
I would love to see a tut on taking a simple scene/ model through from concept to final composited image. Client brief, sketching, idea gathering, blocking, fine tuning, lighting, cameras, materials, render layers, camera effects, photoshop / nuke / shake. (Maybe throw in colourspace?) It could a bowl of fruit, a pot plant with plant, product shot etc. It would give a nice rounded approach to a studio workflow...

Jacques

# 18 12-12-2010 , 11:43 PM
Administrator
It's a good topic, Jaques. To make something like this reflect a proper studio workflow though it would have to be done by multiple people and work as a series where you'd have someone develop the concept in one tutorial, pass it on to someone else to be modeled followed by lighting & shading and finally post. I'd say it would work out as four tutorials if we did it the right way.

We've been thinking along these lines a lot, because we think it's better to produce content when you have someone who has the best knowledge and experience in one specific field do their part and then pass it on to someone else. I've been working on a product shot tutorial for photorealistic rendering and the problem I've found is that if I do the modeling myself I don't get a model that's accurate enough because modeling is not a field I focus on and I am a miserable modeler which really draws down the final outcome both in terms of end result and training value. A tutorial like this would therefore work better if it was split into a series of two where someone else like Jay who's a million times better than me would build it in one. In the case of Jay he could probably do both because he can light and render as well and pull of something photoreal I'm sureuser added image but you get my point most people have complete control of only one or two fields that would go into a pipeline.

Because we focus on Maya and Maya related software we'll be able to produce the best training for it on this site, but structuring it this way will mean more work and time to produce it. I think it's worth it in the end though because we want to raise the bar a bit for Maya training, there is a lot of bad Maya content online today. It will also mean that people who are interested in moving towards the industry will benefit from the training on Simply Maya as we'll gear it towards teaching production workflows and pipelines. We're also writing articles that we'll publish on the site, because we're interested in trying to give people more of an insight I'm on a lot of forums and numerous showreels and I've picked up on people struggle with finding a way into the industry.

Final thing, we have a tutorial called Render Layers in Production https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=158&sub_cat=0
Izzy made it and it's really interesting for the reason that he has so much experience in this field. It only covers part of the full pipeline you want to see, but he makes a lot of interesting refs to the production pipeline.

Sorry for the novel...as alwaysuser added image
Nilla

# 19 13-12-2010 , 12:45 AM
Lifetime Member
I would like to see more dynamics David, you have me hooked (is that good or bad?). Something like the old mousetrap game LOL (maybe not so complicated). What do they call that? there is a name for it Im sure.

Definitely some lighting Nilla, something like the rustic kitchen or a room with just a table/chair and lamp with 3 different moods....maybe the same model but people could have 1: dingy hotel room 2 : modern kids/study room 3 : black and white period (1930's).

compositing for sure....that sounds good too.

cheers bullet

P.S how to make shaders and materials?? are there any in here already....that would be good.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 13-12-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: addenda
# 20 13-12-2010 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber

I would like to see more dynamics David, you have me hooked (is that good or bad?). Something like the old mousetrap game LOL (maybe not so complicated). What do they call that? there is a name for it Im sure.

It's the Rube Goldberg. There was a challenge here a while back where we did one, I never completed mine but I learned a lot in the challenge going in with absolutely none, and just searching around for information on how to use dynamics.

# 21 13-12-2010 , 03:55 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Rhet....you little gem you

Bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 22 13-12-2010 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
hahha had the info couldn't resist posting.

YouTube - Rube Goldberg 02

That's all I had made, never got a chance to finish. Nothing but dynamics and restraints. I would like to revisit doing dynamics again. It was some of the most fun I've had learning and playing around.

So here's another vote for dynamics.

# 23 13-12-2010 , 04:38 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah thats sweet mate...loveit. Yeh I think it would be good too!

cheers bulletuser added image

bullet1968

# 24 13-12-2010 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber
i would like to see a tutorial on animating wings (both like a bat and a bird)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 25 14-12-2010 , 02:31 PM
Administrator
Rhetoric Camel, cool to see the Rube Goldberg thing you posted. Remember I used spend days on trying to build systems like that when I was a kid, my mum would go nuts because they'd span through half of our small apartment and she couldn't stand the mess. On occasion our dog would destroy it as he ran around the place and I'd cry and scream like crazyuser added image

Chirone, that's a good idea I'd like to see a tutorial on exactly that as well. I'll ask our animator when he's done with what he's working on atm if he'd be up for it. I found something nice in resources the other day btw, it's a fully rigged really nice dragon model check it out
https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-.../rid/1/page/0/
It's at the bottom right hand corner on the page.

Cheers,
Nilla

# 26 02-01-2011 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
Hey!

Last months i was checking a lot of Utube videos, & I saw a really nice topic. Looks so simple but 100% it is not. The topic about importing a maya scene into a recorded video.
4example: "Happy New Year" 3D text modelled in maya & imported to the recorded video. Like placed on my shelf where I am typing & the camera moves around me or something like this.
I am sure all of you saw this kind of video. Cell/car transforming into a Transformers, or a street view where a modelled car being placed & so on...

I know it is not only maya (maya,some traker program & shake/nuke) but I love those vids user added image

joey

# 27 02-01-2011 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber

Hey!

Last months i was checking a lot of Utube videos, & I saw a really nice topic. Looks so simple but 100% it is not. The topic about importing a maya scene into a recorded video.
4example: "Happy New Year" 3D text modelled in maya & imported to the recorded video. Like placed on my shelf where I am typing & the camera moves around me or something like this.
I am sure all of you saw this kind of video. Cell/car transforming into a Transformers, or a street view where a modelled car being placed & so on...

I know it is not only maya (maya,some traker program & shake/nuke) but I love those vids user added image

joey

I'm pretty sure you can do the tracking right in maya with Maya Live. I could be wrong though. I've been looking into doing a scene involving video and 3d objects.

# 28 02-01-2011 , 10:06 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
What I would like to see is a proper rigging tutorial, some key words:
-low ress to high ress
-Driven displacement
-facial rigging
-pinning
-adding dynamics ( like hair/cloth)
- multiple rig workflow

reall easy stuff in short user added image

# 29 03-01-2011 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
I would really like to see a good mechanical rigging tutorial for a robot with hydraulic rams and springs n stuff... not just ball joints as a lot of tutes have. I have been looking around and only seem to find snippets of info for like a shoulder or an arm.. but would love to see a whole tutorial just for the rigging of an entire robot. If theres something like that here already i may have missed it... is there an entire list of tutes based in one place like the tutorial forum section for quick finding.?

# 30 03-01-2011 , 07:29 PM
my post on this topic.

i would like to see a textured hair tutorial or even how to make a fairly good looking polygon hair tutorial, i don't really know how the right way is but i gave it a try and the result is on the post above ^
im sure there's a better way to do it and get better results, which is why im requesting a tutorial...maybe someone knows how to do it better lol