Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-03-2004 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber

march/april - tiz - noob

Hello everyone,

Im fairly new to maya (and simply maya), but still id like to compete in the contest. I just gonna use the contest to learn more about the software. As some sort of motivation. Maybe the final model will turn out bad, but at least i've learnt something, right? Besides, it's gonna be good fun to see everyones models evolve over the next weeks.
Here's my concept:
The civilization will live on the edge/side of a vulcano. The vulcano is their god, cause it gives the people fertile land. Every now and then, when the vulcano's lava rises, the people have to offer a member of their community to keep the vulcano happy and satsified. So their needs to be some sort of altar on top of the vulcano which can lower humans into the vulcano. This altar is the center of their religion. Their also has to be some sort of canal, which fills itself with lava when the lava in the vulcano is rising. That way the people have a visual clue that the lava in the vulcano is rising. The houses of this vulcano city are build on the side of the vulcano.
I will try to post a drawing of the concept soon. I've seen some really nice concept drawings in this contest, but don't expect to much of mine though. haha.

Alright, have fun everybody

Tiz

PS1: If i have a problem with the modeling (as im a newbie), is it allowed to ask for help in this contest?
PS2: English is not my native language, so maybe some things are not complete clear in my posts. Apologies in advance.

# 2 10-03-2004 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
no apologies needed. user added image
sure its alright to ask for help...that's what we're here for.

i'm also making use of the challenge to motivate me in advancing my knowledge in 3D

good luck! user added image

[SIZE=1.5]They say if you keep on trying, its good exercise.....lol[/SIZE]
# 3 10-03-2004 , 03:15 PM
Good luck, nice concept user added image

# 4 13-03-2004 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys

Here’s a quick sketch of what i had i mind. Plans have somewhat changed. There’s still some sort of vulcano theme here or at least, there a crater in a mountain. Maybe it’s a vulcano with a crater lake or something. I’m not really sure yet. I want to have some temples that are built inside the crater against the walls and some bridges and stairs that lead towards the temples. Altitude is also important for the dramatic effect. Or something. Also a couple of big statues, which are probably gonna be too hard for me to model, but hey, nothing wrong with hoping i can pull this of. user added image Hope to be able to post some wip soon. It’s gonna be hard for me though. Ok. Good luck to everyone.

# 5 13-03-2004 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
uhm... here's the sketch

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 13-03-2004 , 09:05 PM
Looks great !! user added image

# 7 14-03-2004 , 07:04 AM
nice! keep em coming user added image

Ipso Facto Meenie Moe... MAGICO!!!
# 8 14-03-2004 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
hey

i started of with the scenery. i never used the sculp tool, so i thought i experiment with that tool first. I added a cube in the scenery which will become some temple, so that it's clearer what size the crater has. I'd like to know from you guys how detailed i should make the scenery? im not really sure about this. Thanks in advance. I will post some wip on the temple(s) and the bridge over the crater(lake) later on this week (i hope) user added image

tiz

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 15-03-2004 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
hey guys

i did some work on a temple. im not sure if im really satified with it. it's all pretty squarish so far. Not necessarily a bad thing, but......hmm...
i thought i post it anyway, coz all comments are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 15-03-2004 , 08:46 PM
The Maya Mountain
You could perhaps add structures to the sides that break up the blockiness of it.

# 11 15-03-2004 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the advice mike. I am not aiming for the round pillar look and kinda want the structures to be squarish, but the temple looks a bit dull. So extending the building to both sides is probably a good idea to make it all a little more interesting. thanks again. By the way, i know near to nothing about texturing. Which tutorial(s) on simplymaya should i download to get me started with this (including painting your own textures and stuff)?

tiz

# 12 16-03-2004 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
hey guys

i made some sort of city wall and the bridge over the crater, so here are some pics. I put everything in a scenery, just to give an impression of what it's gonna look like. I did'nt match the buildings with the scenery very precise, but it is just to see how it looks. From the city wall to the temple which is situated higher, there is a long stairs. The stairs should lie on the scenery, but i haven't been working on that. I also made a watch tower. The plan is to also do some buildings that are gonna be situated behind the wall. A little city. I havent been working on the temple. It needs some refining. user added image Ok that's it. I like to hear what you guys think of it. Be honest. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 16-03-2004 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
closer look

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 16-03-2004 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
form a higher perspective

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 16-03-2004 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
without scenery