Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-06-2004 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber

Need help modelling a gun

Hi, I have this side profile of the equilibrium gun and i'm a little stuck as in how i start modelling this. I want to the basic shape outlined first then add in the details. If someone could please point in the right direction i'd appreciate it a lot. I'm not sure if i should use a cilinder or a cube, i've tried this a couple of times but i can't get it to look right.

(you have to scroll down a little)

equilibrium gun

# 2 04-06-2004 , 03:14 AM
Usually you'll want more than just a profile of what you're modelling, but this isnt too complex so it can be done. What I'd do is make a polygon cube and stretch it so it's about the length of the barrel, and then continue from there making cuts with the poly split tool and whatnot. Probobly extrude some faces for the handle. That's just a start, but it'll give you the basic outline to go from.

# 3 04-06-2004 , 07:04 AM
In my insomniac mode I drew a quick kind of a wire fram for you.

I would use poly cubes to model it, and do the methods owmyi was describing.

I would make some of the parts seperate for animatable purposes.

I hope this picture is of some help to you. I tried to color different parts different colors for you.

Attached Images
# 4 04-06-2004 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
dude all i can say is that i look forward to seeing this done. THe movie is among my top 3. Good Luck user added image!

# 5 04-06-2004 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys, that's a big help, especially the wireframe. I'm just glad that i got the basic idea right and you guys verified it for me. Thanks again. I'll do my best and posts some wips.