Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-04-2005 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber

Computer keeps freezing

while working in maya when ive got most of the spitfire turned into sub-ds etc everything becomes very very slow and the computer eventualy comes to a halt....

my PC specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+ @ 2191MHz

Gigabute GA-7N400 PRO2

Two sticks of Crucial 512 DDR

Abit Radeon 9600 256mb graphics card

650 watt PSU

anyone recommend anything?

Chewy
# 2 10-04-2005 , 07:46 PM
i'm willing to bet it's the video card causing it.

Simply put, ATI & Maya don't mix very well, especially in versions before Maya 6.5.

With my 9800pro I had that exact issue in Maya 5, except when the computer went blank it was recovered through the 9800's VPU recover option.

Maya 6.5 is a lot more stable, thankfully, though it will still crash if you have anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled, and it wont' even start if you have vsync on.

best permanent solution would be a different vid card which is on Alias's compatibility list, but otherwise its a tough thing to give fixes for.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 10-04-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
i had a feeling it was the graphics card again... my old man said it shouldnt but hey? lol

i did post same sort of thread months back and ppl recommended me a gaphics card... but ive got a price limit of say £200 i guess.. i could stretch to £250?

so if ppl could recommend current graphics cards etc would be great

cheers

Chewy
# 4 10-04-2005 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
I have a ATI Radeon 9200 and boy does maya hate it user added image

I changed my monitor refresh rate to 75 hertz and that seems to have given me more stability. I did around 4 hours work on Maya yesterday, without a crash . . . that's a record for me.

You may need to play with your display settings on your card, it may help. The best solution is going to be a new card . . which is one of the options I'm currently looking at.

Cheers
Paul