Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 30-08-2005 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber
can you please share your texture settings?

# 17 31-08-2005 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
What you see on the plane now is a simple lambert shader with .2 diffuse. The plane is not textured at all, what you see now is just a place holder. The engine piece and the landing gear is also a lambert shader with a higher diffuse value. I will start tonight with the UV mapping and hopefully by the end of the week I can start with the actual texturing in photoshop.

Besides the spot light and a couple of directional lights, there is a point light with a linear decay that gives some interesting shadows (especially on the landing gear picture)...The light set up is also temporary since I will be doing FG/mental ray with HDRI once the texturing is complete.

I have been thinking about doing some CG background, like a runway and some building or something, instead of just putting one big picture in the background

# 18 31-08-2005 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
This is the sort of model I think im going to love. I really love seeing things acurate and as realistic as possible. Even if poeple don't know it's there without being shown sometimes. :d

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 19 31-08-2005 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments Tim. Last night I was playing around with different perspectives and kept trying to get as much detail on the camera as I could only to find that something was not in view...it hurt. The landing gear looks so far away...user added image

The chairs in the cockpit have a ton of detail too, but they need a bit more work. I was surprised to find how functionally oriented those sits are in real life, no room for comfort I suppose. But then again, those thick flight suits must provide some cushion.

# 20 31-08-2005 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
I know how you feel, I have trouble getting all the work I have done into a picture. I just want to get people round and sit them beside me so I can show them but that's not always possible. user added image

Keep at it though, it's a good start.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 21 01-09-2005 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Well, here is a quick and dirty render with all the parts...done with the modeling except for the inside of the air intakes at the front that I am going to reshape a bit.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 07-09-2005 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber
I finished the UV map, except for the landing gear and chairs inside the cockpit, and started working on the Mental Ray rendering before texturing the uv map to make sure I have the right set up. I ran into some problems with mental ray because the settings I normally apply for FG did not work. I believe it was related to the significant scaling I applied to the model early on that threw it off. Maya must have a funny way of dealing with scene size. Anyways, I was getting all kinds of shadow artifacts, and jagged edges. After playing with it for hours I corrected all the issues which were related to the Min and Max radius parameters (for the shadow artifacts), and the sampling quality contrast of R/G/B/A which I lowered to 0.025 to eliminate the jagged edges. For best results I ended up using a min radius of 400 and max radius of 2000. FG Rays is set at 400 with this image. It takes a while to render (5-10 mins). 400-2000 is an obscenely high number considering that on a normal scene values of zero for both min and max are sufficient. That is what I had used in my previous spitfire model.

I also tested scaling down the entire scene after grouping it all. Unfortunately it did not make a difference and I still had to use those value. Anyone know a better way of doing this? or resetting the scene size for MR and FG calculations?

Here is the render, the color is a color map applied to the UV map. I'll work on that coloring next.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 28-09-2005 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
Here is an updated picture with some painting I have added to the plane. I did some reshaping as well. I still need to paint the engine, add some basic chairs and do an HDRI render with a nice backgroundn I found. Almost done...

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 28-09-2005 , 10:58 PM
cool i like it a lot. love detail, model,everything look good.keep up the good workuser added image

# 25 02-10-2005 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
love the model. looks brand spanking new! lol how about spicing it up with a HDRI setup, just to add that extra crisp to it.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 26 05-10-2005 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
Here is an HDRI setup...

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 05-10-2005 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
And another angle...

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 05-10-2005 , 09:38 PM
your plane doesnt look really metalique.how about a blinn material.

but it still look very good keep up the good work.
user added image

# 29 05-10-2005 , 09:48 PM
Nicely done, but plane is made out of hunderds pices of light metal connected so you should show seams!
And put on blinn with high specular HSV (value=1.5), reflections...

But shape is really great so dont stop untill you get it realistic!
user added image

# 30 06-10-2005 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
actually, I purposely did not want to make it too metallic. It is a blinn material already, with zero reflections, and very low specularity. There is no bump map or spec map on it, thats how i would make the seams. I may get to it one of these days. Thanks for the comments. The engine is still not textured by the way.