View Poll Results: Do you like it?
Yes 3 33.33%
No 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-09-2005 , 08:02 PM

Head !?!?! (with properly placed edge loops ^^)

Hi.
This is my new Head I started. This time I tried really hard to set the edge loops on the right place. Just give you voice if you like it or not. Cya

user added image

Wireframe

user added image

# 2 15-09-2005 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber
the loops are there indeed. but they are placed incorectly and spaced out too tightly.

edgeloops helps deformation look smoother, not always make the model look good.

keep on keepin' on.

use refs user added image

# 3 15-09-2005 , 10:41 PM
Make the eyesockets smaller and the nose wider and longer.

# 4 15-09-2005 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
instead of makin ur own dude, try makin ur own ref, or get a ref, then everything will be in place
and ull do alot better

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 5 16-09-2005 , 01:23 PM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
the loops are there indeed. but they are placed incorectly and spaced out too tightly.

Maybe you could show me with a little painting on my picture, where I placed the loops incorrectly. I did it like on this picture

user added image

# 6 16-09-2005 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
you just need to sort out proportions, check out the size of that guys eyes compared you yours, and his noes and the distance between the bottom of his noes and his lips etc, u shud try using a reference image it will make it loads easier, take a photo of yourself or something or find a pic on the net

# 7 16-09-2005 , 02:22 PM
I followed your advice and took a reference. I moved the vertices in the right place, so the model fits the reference. I'll post a render later.
So far...

# 8 17-09-2005 , 12:19 PM
# 9 17-09-2005 , 12:39 PM
AAAAAAAAAAH! Thats a step backwords! I liked the old one better!

# 10 17-09-2005 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
My $.02 would be as follows:

If he's an alien humanoid, you can take whatever licenses you wish! If he's "homo sapiens", then I'd check the plane of his eyes for starters. On your model, it looks like both eyes are flat on rather than following the gentle curve of the skull. They are also a bit large in proportion to the nose and the rest of the skull (again, if it's an alien, that may not be an issue). They are also placed a bit far up on the face.

The lips could also use a bit more tweaking (perhaps a couple of extra rows of geometry so they blend in with the face better), and the nostril area of the nose needs to flare out a bit more, but otherwise you're coming along fine!

Carry on...

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 11 17-09-2005 , 12:44 PM
Yeah, whatever he said!

# 12 17-09-2005 , 02:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Absolutely. But clean all the same. Study the topology of the diagram thats been posted, theres a lot less. A little can go along way, but on the other hand you may want to put in skin creases or sharpen the edges where there may be a 'lip' like the eye lids, or the edges of the top lip. Or extra geo to add 'character' to your character.

When creating your meshes, always think about what the end purpose is gonna be too. Are you going to be adding blend shapes? Bare in mind the amount of pulling around you'll need to do if you are.

As always with modelling there are swings and roundabouts; too little geometry = stretchy looking uv's, but then too many = a pain in the butt to edit.

All you need to do is just select a few loops here and there and get rid of them, then get some good ref to study facial proportions, I feel you have gone a little backwards on the lips. Remember lips go around the face not just across, he looks like hes chewing an orange right now.

Lastly, is that CPS I see you are using? Why? Subds would be a better choice and faster.

Keep going though, heads are not the easiest to model...ever!!

Best Regards
Jay

Last edited by Jay; 17-09-2005 at 02:41 PM.
# 13 18-09-2005 , 03:14 PM
# 14 18-09-2005 , 04:47 PM
There you go! Much better now.

# 15 18-09-2005 , 06:37 PM
A bit too much space in between the nose and the mouth.