Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-07-2006 , 10:19 AM

what's nonmanifold?

what is it and what's the use of knowing it? does it affect my modeling or texturing or whatever? if so how?

really sorry... i just dont get my book lol...

any way thx for replying

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 2 16-07-2006 , 09:29 PM
Non manifold geometry is when the polygons don't form a continuous surface. - and thus can't be unfolded into a continuous piece. This is relavent when UV mapping and performing certain operations that don't work on non-manifold geometry (for example, boolean operations). Also, some real time engines and other modeling packages don't support non manifold geometry.

Usualy non-manifold means:

*three or more faces share an edge (like when you extrude an edge of a cube)

*Two or more faces share a single vertex but no edge ( like when you merge the corner vertexe's of two planes together)

*adjacent faces have opposite normals (like when you flip the normal of a side of a cube)

Attached is an image to help explain.

Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails