Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-08-2007 , 05:23 AM

Using blendshapes for something else then facial animation?

Is it possible to use blendshapes to create an animation effect so that it for example a tree growing from the ground. I want it to look like its growing more then just a small tree becoming a big tree. Or do I have to do that manually?

If you have any ideas on how to make this I'm very intressting to ear what it is. user added image

# 2 08-08-2007 , 05:51 AM
Lifetime Member
First of all you can use blendshapes for anything you think it might be usefull for i.e deformation of clothing but I don't think blend shapes would work very well for tree growth since you don't really have any control over when and where things like branches will appear.
Another possibility would be paint effects since you can animate the tubes but again not as easy as it sounds and would take a lot of tweaking,heres some info I found on High end

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/faqs/p...ation-228.html

Somthing elese to consider would be maybe to animate your extrusions of the branches using an animated sweep perhaps.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 08-08-2007 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey there Weyu,

as jsprogg said and
HERE'S a link to a tutorial about animated extrusions from Digital Tutors.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 08-08-2007 , 07:45 AM
Oooh thanks alot, I will look at it as fast as I get home. user added image

Edit: Is blend shapes good for animating clothes? I've never been to keen to the Maya cloth animation I wonder if this is an better alternative. user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 08-08-2007 at 07:52 AM.