Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-02-2007 , 08:42 AM

disappearing reflections

I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem I am having rendering. The scene has fire reflected off of a shiny black surface. The camera is constantly moving. I am rendering with mental ray on "production." It renders fine except for in every few frames the reflection disappears. I thought I could fix this by turning "scanline" off in the rendering options, but it didn't work. I also thought creating a particle cache would help but it did not. Any ideas?
Thanks!

r
# 2 04-02-2007 , 10:53 AM
mostly I'm wondering how you managed to get fire to reflect in the first place - as near as I know, OptiFX (like the glow on the fire) doesn't reflect at all (and may not refract, as well).

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 04-02-2007 , 10:27 PM

that's easy!

all you have to do to get the reflections is in the "particle shape" attributes of the fire you go to the render stats and check "visible in reflections" and "visible in refractions" and it only works if you render it with mental ray. But WHY is it only working every other frame is beyond me!

r
# 4 05-02-2007 , 06:09 PM
I don't know why it's doing it every other frame but the reason you see it with mental ray is because it's ray tracing it (you achieve the same result without MR by turning on raytracing in the maya software renderer, actually might be worth trying this to see if you still get the problem).

Xander-0: he's talking about particles in relfections not opti fx which are a post process done by maya after the render finishes, hence why they don't appear in reflections

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 06-02-2007 , 01:35 AM
oh. thanks for clarifying that. I will try rendering with maya software and see what happens

r
# 6 06-02-2007 , 01:46 AM
oh....
well, I know about the whole thing that 'particles-reflect-but-not-glows', but it sounded like he was managing to get everything to relfect.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 7 06-02-2007 , 04:50 AM
rendering with maya software seems to be working so far... Only have about 30 frames done though. I don't feel completely sure yet, so I am still trying things...

someone on another message board said:
"maybe you had key framing set to auto and accidentally set a key frame on something (like visibility or cast shadows)."

Is there a way to delete all key frames from the scene?
I tried delete all by type "static channels"
would that work?

r
# 8 07-02-2007 , 02:51 AM
rendering with maya software with raytracing on seems to have fixed my problem. THANKS!

r