Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-10-2021 , 09:25 PM

Using Transfer Attributes to copy adjustments to mirrored blend shapes?

Hi all,

I’m working on the face rig for a character in Maya 2019. Used Advanced Skeleton 5 to set it up and extracted all the blend shapes for adjustments, and now that I’ve tweaked the right side of all the blend shapes, I thought I could use Transfer Attributes - Vertex position to apply the same adjustments to the corresponding left sides.

It doesn’t seem to want to work out for me, and I’m at a loss for what else to try.

I’ve tried it directly with mirroring enabled, which does not mirror the pose no matter which combination of options I pick (it transfers just fine, but with the right-hand side deformed).

user added image

I’ve tried making a duplicate of the right side, mirroring that (and freezing the scale transform because otherwise the above thing happens), and then transferring vertex positions from the duplicate, which, regardless of the method of copying and mirroring I use, always flips the model (so that if I were to, say, move the slider for the left corner of the mouth, it would flip the entire head model inside out).

user added image
(It also gets these weird dimply normals)

user added image user added image

I would rather not use the other blendshape tools of Advanced Skeleton at this point because I’m afraid I’ll lose all the progress I’ve made on the right halves already. The only other thing I can think to do would be to manually snap every vertex to a mirrored copy, which can’t be the only option I have.

Maybe there’s a simple solution I’m overlooking. Can someone help?

Last edited by squiggs; 02-10-2021 at 09:28 PM.
# 2 04-10-2021 , 09:28 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
once you freeze the mesh you basically reorder the points so the transfer attributes wont work in this respect.

However...as this looks like it has been modelled symmetrically, you could try using the transfer vertex order.

So, as a suggestion. mirror a blendshape and freeze its transforms, then use the default model as your source for the vertex order and try transfering the points that way, it may well work, though you'd have to do this for every mirrored shape.

If this fails, there are some mirror blendshape scripts available out there, as Ive used them myself.

also before you use any rig or skeleton setups, always know the basics and any issues that can be caused and get rid of these errors first before plugging it into an auto rig of any kind, because by adding the extra things into the shapes you are giving yourself a minefield of issues to solve the minute it goes tits up. Character setup is NOT as easy as any auto rig plugin suggests - I dont care what anyone says.

I'll rattle my brain a bit more but usually with character work we have a set up where we use the same mesh over and over for any new character so our blendshapes have already been done in alot of respects.

cheers
J

Last edited by Jay; 04-10-2021 at 09:48 AM.
# 3 04-10-2021 , 01:01 PM
Hi Jay,

thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I did and it worked!
I've posted this question to a few places and someone dropped reordering vertices as a keyword, and the workflow I figured out from that point matches your suggestion, so I'm glad to know I got on the right track there.

As for the auto rigging - absolutely, I'm currently learning that the hard way, but I'm coming out of it with a lot more experience for what it's worth.

Thanks again!
squiggs

# 4 04-10-2021 , 01:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Squiggs

excellent!!!

there are mirror blendshape scripts on highend 3d so maybe worth a look for the future if you do this type of work again.

the vert re-order was the only thing I could think of, especially after the freeze transforms, thats what essentially kills any chance of using the mirrored shapes. Glad you got it working. Good luck with the rig side!!

_J