Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-09-2006 , 11:42 AM

How to use multiplaning?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to animate a fly through within the sky where clouds will interfere. I have searched this forum inside out, and I notice that multiplaning produces excellent results with little render time.

Can someone help guide me through multiplaning? Or a method that creates realistic clouds which can be animated aswell?

Rust boy uses multiplaning:
https://www.rustboy.com/movies/cloudlayers.mov

The reason why I want to use multiplaning, is create the thick puffy cartoon like clouds.

# 2 14-09-2006 , 03:04 PM
Hey flex,

It looks like the first part of the movie shows you how to set it up so I'm not sure what you're asking here. Basically, just make some planes, position them where you want them, add cloud textures with alphas for transparency, and move your camera through it.

If you don't know how to do that, then you should look into some of the texture mapping tutorials on this or any other site.

Good luck.

# 3 14-09-2006 , 07:00 PM
Great! I thought there was a catch to it... since it looks pretty simple to do for great looking clouds. user added image

Do you know if it is possible to use spheres instead of planes? Like have one sphere layered into another, rotate it a little... to create moving clouds for my entire scene?

Or will that give a different effect?

# 4 14-09-2006 , 07:39 PM
It will give you a different effect, but that's not to say it'll be bad. Try it and see.