Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-02-2007 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber

Blendshape/Rig problem

Guys,

I'm having a problem with my rig/blendshapes.

I've made a character and a number of facial expressions. The head is controlled using a control curve.

I made a blendshape, this works fine. However, when I move/rotate the control curve, the teeth etc move accordingly, but the head stays static in is original place. If I turn off all facial expressions, his head as it should.

What have I done wrong? Can someone point me into a solution?

I've uploaded the file on my webspace if someone wants to take a look...
www.metalrobot.co.uk/rig.zip

Thanks

James

# 2 01-02-2007 , 10:24 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Is the head bound(skinned) to the joints or parented?

Jay

# 3 01-02-2007 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
I think I know what your problem is I had the same one few months ago.
heres wat you gotta do, right click on the face model that has the head control to it. while holding the right mouse button go to inputs>all inputs. then youll get a window with all the inputs on it. select the one that says something like blendshape , middle click it and drag to the bottom I think or right above the last input. the thing is I'm not on my homecomputer and I cant exactly recall the buttons but try that out and you can then move the head while having the blends work accordingly.

# 4 01-02-2007 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
The head is skinned to the head joint. Parts of his face is parented, either constrained or just parented.

I just tried the inputs, but when I move the blendshape layer to the bottom and try it out, it just increases the size of the head!!

Very odd.

James

# 5 01-02-2007 , 12:24 PM
Did you make sure you did the blend shapes before you skinned it? or did you do it the other way?

Jay

# 6 02-02-2007 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
I skinned the geometry first then adjusted the mouth joints to help me achieve my desired mouthshapes.

# 7 02-02-2007 , 08:00 AM
Do the blendshapes first, then skin it. Thats sounds like the prob!
See what happens

Jay

# 8 02-02-2007 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
But why would that happen?

Half the training videos use the bind after as a methods for creating the mouthshapes...

I'm confused...and slightly p*ssed off that I've probably got to start again.

F*cking thing

James

# 9 02-02-2007 , 09:23 PM
James

Yeah they probably use that method to create the shapes, but theres an order to how things need to be done.

I do all our character facial rigs at work and I can tell you first hand, that its best to create the shapes first, then once you have those then you can feed those into the default head then bind it. Its just a deformation order, you may be able to rearrange that in the inputs list and the problem may be solved.

What video tute are you using incidently?

Jay

# 10 03-02-2007 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
Firstly, thanks for your replies, it's really appreciated!!

I've been looking at Digital tutors vid tutorials...

I did have a look at the inputs, when when I altered then, the geometry size went massive!! (any idea why?)

Now i've got my faces made, would it be a good idea to delete the binding information, make the new blendshape, the re-skin the character together?

Would that work?

# 11 03-02-2007 , 05:38 AM
James

Not a problem, happy to help. Strange about the videos, DT are pretty good normally, I duuno maybe theres something you missed, its always worth another look.

Yeah feed your shapes in and then reskin it. Hopefully you are doing smooth bind, then you can reload the weight map without too much hassle of re weighting it.

Cheers
Jay

# 12 03-02-2007 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber
yea I dont know whats wrong either. I looked at your file and it I dont know why the head gets so big. For me that same problem was fixed with the input. I also followed the same DT kits as you did. I noticed however that a lot of your gemotry has a lot of inputs that arent cleaned prior to binding them to the skeleton. A wild guess would be to try to delete history on your geomotries before you do anything important to them like put blendshapes or binding. Just a thought dont know if itll work but just a thought.

-Dan

# 13 03-02-2007 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the input!

My inputs didn't work :-(

I'm going to unbind the character, make the blendshape node then rebind and reattach the skin maps, an early test seemed to work OK, so that may be the best cause of action.

Thanks again

James.