Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-06-2007 , 01:38 PM
Subscriber

Flushed away

Upon hitting the play button, I realized that "flushed away" wasnt rendered using renderman or maybe even MR.
Could've been air or turtle.

I somehow have a feeling it can be done using the maya renderer like what was used for hoodwinkled.

# 2 14-06-2007 , 08:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
does it have to be MR all the time though? I dunno how you can tell what its rendered in to be honest, unless you are doing severe SSS and photo real images then you may get an inkling of whats being used.

the Maya renderer is capable of a lot. People just get sucked in by the latest 'thing'. Granted MR is bloody good, as is turtle and renderman, but at the end of the day, your renders are only as good as you make them. Theres alot of stuff done using MR on other forums, some are outstanding but alot of it is just dull overcast stuff thats done by people who havent a clue about even the most basic rendering technique.

Cheers
Jay

# 3 15-06-2007 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
NOt sure if you've seen this film.
well, the imagery looks like a 3d tv show or direct to dvd movie rather than a feature. So, comes across as a budget constrained project.
There is lesser ambient light (bounced light), making the picture feel a little flattish.
I've recently seeen robots, happy feet etc, so the difference was obvious.
Not saying its a bad thing, but just saying that now, so much is expected from CG movies.

# 4 15-06-2007 , 08:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Ive seen it, or I wouldnt have commented. In fact my daughter owns both on dvd, so it gets a regular watch if you know what I mean.

I dont have a prob with the rendering...on any of these...

Jay