Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-01-2007 , 05:53 AM

New to 3D Design...

I am new to this area. I have messed around some with Blender and a little bit with Lightwave but that is about it. I am in the market for some software and possible some educational material that I could study on my own. So what program should I start out on? Whenever I hear people talking about 3D art, I almost always hear them talking about Maya. The price is not a factor, so if someone could recommend some good software for me to start out on and practice on, that would be great.

You don't know what you don't know until you know that you don't know about it.
# 2 12-01-2007 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber
I recommend...believe it or not...Maya

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 3 12-01-2007 , 06:43 AM
Then, Maya it is.

# 4 12-01-2007 , 08:23 AM
lol. That seemed too easy. The price didn't matter, and I guess the details didn't, either.:p

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 5 12-01-2007 , 09:36 AM
Maya is good, even though I started with Studio max, I quickly changed to Maya.

But you thing you'll notice and I still dont understand : why there's TONS of tutorials, helps, lessons for 3ds compared to Maya's ?
And the majority of 3d work I see (3dtotal, 3d-palace, etc.) are done with 3ds ?

thx

# 6 14-01-2007 , 08:36 AM
is it because 3d max is easier to use compare with maya?
or 3d max is hard until require such amount of tutorial?

# 7 14-01-2007 , 08:40 AM

Originally posted by erictacti
lol. That seemed too easy. The price didn't matter, and I guess the details didn't, either.:p

Well, I knew Maya is pretty much the industry standard, or so I've heard, and thus I am assuming there are a lot of people using the program whom can help me out if I need the help. I also just purchased a book to teach myself the program. I ordered "Learning Autodesk Maya 8| Foundation + DVD."

before ordering the book I read all of the reviews for the different books that are out there and this one seemed to be the best for beginners. Anyone able to tell me if I made the right choice?

# 8 14-01-2007 , 11:26 AM
myself44 > 'But you thing you'll notice and I still dont understand : why there's TONS of tutorials, helps, lessons for 3ds compared to Maya's ? And the majority of 3d work I see (3dtotal, 3d-palace, etc.) are done with 3ds?'

carburner > 'is it because 3d max is easier to use compare with maya? or 3d max is hard until require such amount of tutorial?'

Well the reason why there's more tutorials for max is not becuase its easier or anything, its becuase it was cheaper than Maya for a longer time plus its also the most pirated 3D app out there for some unknown reason.

budman82 > 'Anyone able to tell me if I made the right choice'

I believe you have made the right choice. If you are new to 3D, always buy the Maya foundation books. I, however spent money on a book that said on the back 'learn Maya the quick and easy way' and found that the Maya help file to be more useful.

# 9 14-01-2007 , 08:52 PM
Ah, ok. I appreciate the feedback.