Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-09-2010 , 06:31 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Minotaur - Continued

Well, I've decided that I no longer wish to work at my local superstore anymore, so I want to start getting a portfolio together. Or at least start working on some assets.

Thought I might have a bit of a play with the Minotaur that I did for a small challenge awhile ago.

Anyway, I've dropped the fur since then. I'll get that back in at a later date (maybe).

I'm wondering if this simpler presentation (pose) might work better than the overly complex armour... thoughts?

user added image

user added image

And I am still working on the contest entry... just wanted to do something with this piece.
user added image

Attached Images

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 12-12-2010 at 01:37 AM.
# 2 14-09-2010 , 06:59 PM
The thin red line
That look realy good Steve, I think this looks better but could you post one with armour...............dave

# 3 14-09-2010 , 10:16 PM
Here's an old shot of him with the Armour.... that was still in early days.

*EDIT* smaller image... that one was a bit too big.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 14-09-2010 at 10:19 PM.
# 4 14-09-2010 , 10:43 PM
I really love the armour, but I think for some strange reason he does actually look a little better without it....

Either way awesome sculpting as always! You deserve far better than anything Tesco can offer you mate, and I hope you mange to get there soon!

# 5 15-09-2010 , 01:06 AM
Lifetime Member
That looks good Steve...no armour.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.....I have some serious learning to do before I can get any where near that quality...LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 15-09-2010 , 01:30 AM
EduSciVis-er
I agree that he looks a bit better without the armour, but maybe as a portfolio piece you should keep the armour, because it shows off some very nice sculpting.

# 7 01-10-2010 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
yeah stwert brings up a good point. it's damn good sculpting and would be a shame if a potential employer were to miss out on it

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 10-12-2010 , 12:15 AM
Hello all,

thanks for all the feedback... I kinda let this project slip by the wayside (again) but I was working on other projects, so It's all good.

Anyway, I've done some work recently on the minotaur... just thought I'd keep people up to date, as this is the place the Minotaur was conceived.... and will hopefully be finished.

I started out trying to find a pose I wanted for the final... This is something I was toying with:

user added image

So once the pose was decided on, I reverted back to the orginal mesh to detail and retopo:

user added image

New topology and detail transfer:

user added image

New mesh:

user added image

Long overdue (basic) Loincloth:

user added image

But the minotaur is FINALLY getting close to being done, just need to do another detail pass then fill out the rest of the new topology, then texture and pose him.

Anyway, any feedback would be great.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 10-12-2010 , 12:20 AM
SM Tea Boy
Steve you bull has no balls mate user added image

Simple presentation is better i think, it has better impact upon initial viewing.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 10 10-12-2010 , 12:23 AM
Subscriber
in the side on shot it looks like it'd fall over

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 10-12-2010 , 12:23 AM
EduSciVis-er
Looks super. I'm not so sure about the archer pose... it just looks a little awkward or something (I know it's not super refined). Also, he looks pretty unbalanced from the side view, but I'm assuming you'll correct for COG when posing.

Edit: Chirone, same point, posted at the same time, must be true user added image

# 12 10-12-2010 , 12:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Well its better than my Minotaur (and no I didnt even know you were doing one steve, coincidence! LOL)

I agree the side shot looks awkward...maybe the head is slightly too large? I liked the archer shot actually...

No balls David just ONE BIG ONE!!! LOL

The anatomy looks good, well defined.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 10-12-2010 , 12:33 AM
Cheers, yeah I'll straighten him up when I pose him.

I'll have to have a play with a basic pose then... whatever works best.. it's less work for me anyway user added image

Yeah, I was going to model the genitalia, but considering it wasn't going to be in the final piece (loincloth) I decided against it.

Yeah bullet, I actually think mine came before yours user added image

Thanks for the feedback.

*EDIT* do we have an automatic image re-sizer??? or is this the work of our friendly neighborhood moderators???

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 10-12-2010 at 12:38 AM.
# 14 10-12-2010 , 07:46 AM
Hi Steve,

Looking good mate,

The Archer pose, he is posed to shoot right handed but using a left handed bow, trust me I used to do archery!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 10-12-2010 , 08:11 AM
SM Tea Boy

*EDIT* do we have an automatic image re-sizer??? or is this the work of our friendly neighborhood moderators???

It just resizes the images for the forum, people can still view the full sized images it just keeps things a bit easier to read user added image

Looking good btw

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"