Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-04-2007 , 05:31 AM
Subscriber

WHos tried this?

Hey,
Somebody must've done this , I wanted to know if it worked out fine.

In my spare time, I wanna work on some scene/animation, and play a part in lighting rendering.

It could be simple, maybe stills to start out with, but just work as a team with people from simply maya community. Every body could maybe use it with the credits specifying their role.

This can be done managing personal daily routine.

Thanx for any ideas

# 2 16-04-2007 , 06:08 AM
If this makes it off the starting line, I definitely recommend starting off with storyboarding and concept sketches.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 16-04-2007 , 06:15 AM
Hm, a workplace/pipeline sort of project...it would be neat if that did happen! It might replace the challenge competitions every now and then; instead of competing against one another, we could instead collaborate in one big project.

Only two things that are of concern to me:

1) File sizes; we might have to use an outside website to host larger file sizes. I know of (and have signed up with) such a site (allows up to 150 megs), but I don't know how many SM users would be keen on making accounts.

2) The majority of people here at SM seem to be modelers...can't have everyone doing modeling :p

Of course, I'm sure that could be broken up by making smaller teams that in turn compete againts one another.

I love the idea, though! user added image

# 4 16-04-2007 , 06:21 AM
Perhaps this is a good time to find out who's would potentially be interested and what their contributions COULD be. Just to see if this might be worth pursuing.

I'll start.

I could contribute to modeling simple objects. (Maya 8.5 / Windows)

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 16-04-2007 , 06:25 AM
I could contribute any of the following:

Modeling (preferred)
UV layout
Texturing (don't expect Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel from me :p )
Rigging (very basic)
Weight painting (very basic)

# 6 16-04-2007 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber
Man!
This could be a boon to all of us.

Lets start something off before we lose energy.

There seems to be three of us for now. and that should work out fine. I wouldnt worry too much about the file size for now.

Pls note:
1.We could be using any kinda scenes from characters to enviroments, but something really simple initially.
2.For now we wouldnt wanna spend too much time on conceptualisation
3.Lets do this as quick as possible, I'm talking like 2 to 3 days from start to finish, all inclusive.
4.The work stops on the deadline DOT.
5.I know we're gonna work part time, so we'll have to plan the time.

To start with heres what we could do.

Lets create a simple scene like this one that I am sending as an attachment.
Its an image downloaded from gooogle-images.
Its really flat and no fun, so it would be a bit challenging to actually set it up and make it beautiful.

Points to ponder:
a.Is this simple enuff? Or should be try something simpler?
b.Would you like to build some unseen parts of the room so we can have some better cam angles?
c.You could do some intersting texturing on some elements there,
eg. a painting on one of the walls, a mild texture that goes ojn the bedsheet, a rug etc.
d.I hope its no prob legally to use an image off google as a refernce, for practice right?
e.With this team size (3), we could start off right?
f.We could be at whatever level of expertise (not all need to be experts) and yet do our best in the designated time.

When you message next u may wanna discuss anything and refer it to exact contexts (eg. nos.1, 2, 3 or alphabets a, b,c etc)

We have to be in perfect communication without any ambiguities.
Its all about teamwork and communication and positivity.

Feel free to ask, say whatever you feel.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by njon; 16-04-2007 at 01:51 PM.
# 7 16-04-2007 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
this would be a cool idea, I've thought about gathering people together on this board to make a short movie or a half hour cartoon before. even tried writing stories to have it prepared for the post, go in like I kinda knew what I was doing. but I don't know much about modeling yet and the stories I came up with weren't really something that I pictured on this board.
I would like to see this be done though, it might give me more hope to attempt something like this in the future.

# 8 16-04-2007 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
It should work out.

And yes, one baby step at a time.

Together!

user added image

# 9 16-04-2007 , 02:39 PM
Great ideas njon. I totally agree about keeping it simple to start off with. I think if we do something too complicated and drawn out, discouragement could set in and ruin the whole thing. Once we get started and like you said finish it, perhaps others will want to join in the fun. Slowly we can do more and more in dept scenes. I like the picture and believe it would be a nice simple one to do. I read in another thread I posted, that we can model anything as long as it's not for commercial purposes. In fact, I have the student edition of Maya so I can't do comercial anyway.

Welcome aboard Rhetoric Camel

I believe one person should be designated to oversee everything. I believe things would go smoother, especially if two people disagree on something (leader would make final decision and others would respect that so that momentum is not lost). Anyway, I vote njon since this was your idea. What do you think RC and severianthony?

Say the word njon and I'm ready to go!
My schedule to work on Maya is Eastern Standard Time as follows:
MON 1-2hrs / TUE 3 hrs / WED 1-2 hrs / THU 3 hrs / FRI 3+hrs / SAT 8+hrs / SUN 3 hrs

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 16-04-2007 at 02:42 PM.
# 10 16-04-2007 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
RCamel, maybe we could be in a position to do justice to any good ideas soon.

Glad to know u're charged Perfecto!

Thanks for your schedule, it gives a perfect idea how how we could time this.

It would be a good idea to let it sink in tomorrow and then start of on either tomorrow evening or latest saturday. Staurday seems to be the day u have max free hours so we could just divide the worlk tomorrow.
Lets wait for anthony and RC , so we could decide the work division and start off.
In the meanwhile, if u'd want to, u could actually create the lamp in good detail; not too heavy but just appropriate detail for a shot like this. (give yr best shot)

Theres gonna be couple of things:
1.A room structure, size and walls with cavities and frames for a window.
2.Some more furniture, like the closet we see, just extended version.
3.A simple lite fixture on the ceiling
4.A painting frame on the wall
5.A cornish
6.Maybe a rug
7.A skirting
7.Maybe a pillow if someone can model (a realistic one only).

All the models would have to be detailed so as to simulate realism.
SOrry, if thats a bit of pressure, there.
Just trying to make it worth the time guys.

Hope u get an idea, I can send in a previz layout tomorrow.

As for other mates, see ya tomorrow.

Last edited by njon; 16-04-2007 at 03:09 PM.
# 11 16-04-2007 , 03:16 PM
I'll get started on the lamp right away. I've been working on Rodney from the movie Robots in the WIP section but I don't mind putting it on hold for a little while. I'll post my progress on the lamp every chance I get. And, I'm always on Simply Maya at work so I should see anyone's posts pretty quickly.

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 16-04-2007 , 04:46 PM
Lamp started (post and shade). 386 faces. I can quickly make it a lot less faces but just won't look as nice so just let me know. Should only take about 10 minutes to redo it. Going to sleep now.

Perhaps we should move this over to the WIP section?

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 16-04-2007 at 04:48 PM.
# 13 16-04-2007 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
Good job there!

WIll look at it tomorrow again.
And yea, no. of faces should be fine, no need to lower em.

I think you can take on the side units. Let them be smartly detailed and dont cut corners(that was a figure of speech, not about poly and cut tools... hehehe)
Keep in mind proportion though. (things look diferent in various cam angles)

keep up the spirit!

user added image

Last edited by njon; 16-04-2007 at 05:55 PM.
# 14 16-04-2007 , 11:51 PM
I'll model the side units after I get off work today as well as finish up the lamps. Here's a wire for part of the lamp to reveal how I did the edges, bottom of lamp is the same.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 15 17-04-2007 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
Hey nice...
The model seems to be missing one extension that is seen on the top side where the bulb would be fixed. Hope u can see in the ref image what I mean.