Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-06-2008 , 10:29 PM

university?

what would you recomend as the best university to study animation at? Just starting collage and need to think which one would be best.

# 2 17-06-2008 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
Not University. In the end, it is your demo reel and who you know matters.

Go to Gnomon in California. From what I read, they all have jobs even before they finish their program. And the price is alot cheaper than the one I went to in Florida.

or

Go to Vancouver VFx college in Vancouver, Canada. They have the best demo reels display in cgtalk.

Don't go to any school that has way over 1/3 of the staff that are student turned instructors who has no experience in the industry, but stayed behind after graduating for the job security. The admission representatives will never tell you that because they are exactly like car salesman, for every student who goes in and graduates, they get hundreds of dollars of bonus. I am telling you from experience, don't go to any school in Florida. The one I went to is litterally a for-profit-only school who just sees is money not producing artists. The staff just make sure you don't repeat the course and take up space, so they make sure you pass and be on your way.

Most of my friends who graduated from that animation school in Florida couldn't get a job and ended up doing anything but what they study and paid over $70,000 for. I took out alot more than that. The numbers from the Career department are fudged because most of my friends couldn't find a job in the cg industry. You don't want to be in that trap of being in debt for nothing.

# 3 18-06-2008 , 02:20 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Im glad im learning now, so hopefully wont have this problem later...

# 4 18-06-2008 , 03:48 AM

Re: university?

Originally posted by curtis08
what would you recomend as the best university to study animation at? Just starting collage and need to think which one would be best.

Where are you??

Make sure you do your research and that the uni does what you want, ask to see either tutors and/or students portfolios to get a grasp on what your going to learn.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 18-06-2008 , 03:53 AM
Subscriber
Type the name of the school on google. Sometimes present students or graduates of the school write their opinion, mostly smears. And also, like an apartment complex, some of them might change their name slightly...to avoid having people remember their bad reputation.