Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-08-2012 , 09:42 AM

lattice deformation issue

I have a 3x3x3 lattice encompassing a cube.

There are 2 clusters:

TopClus has 1.0 weight for all lattice verts on top, and .5 for center verts.
BottomClus has 1.0 weight for all lattice verts on bottom, and .5 for center verts.

Each cluster has its own (zeroed) spline ClusCTRL that parent constrains it.
Both controls are parented under a (zeroed) MasterCTRL spline.

while at <<0,0,0>> the MasterCTRL can be moved or rotated and the lattice will move or rotate precisely with the control. Similarly, while at origin, the ClusCTRLs can be rotated and they work predictably.

Once I move MasterCTRL off of origin, say, <<0,0,10>>, translations start doubling on the center .5 weight verts. I say this for lack of a better way to describe it... translating the CTRL works fine, but if moved, THEN when I rotate it, the weighting is off.

The attached image has MasterCTRL.Translate = <<0,0,10>> and MasterCTRL.Rotate = <<0,45,0>>

As you can see, the center verts are kinda going bonkers. If Translate = <<0,0,0>> though, it would look like an unbent block simply rotated 45 degrees on the Y axis. Unbent is the desired result.

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 2 04-08-2012 , 04:45 PM
Well, I didn't have time to wait for a proper solution, so instead of weighting the lattice points I included a center cluster and weighted-parented it to the top and bottom clusters. This setup worked...

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 3 04-08-2012 , 04:52 PM
And shows me the power of referencing, since I already had this block in two scenes, and they both updated correctly...

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer