Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-04-2019 , 03:17 PM

Cylinder issue - probably very straightforward

Hi everyone, first post here, so please forgive how simple a problem I'm encountering!

I've got a cylinder and would like to have one of the circular faces tilted, as if someone has lopped it at an angle. This is easy in a cuboid because you just select an edge and move it on one axis, but because the cylinder has more geometry it deforms. I'd like to end up with a cylinder of constant width, but with one of its circular edges rotated to about 45 degrees. Hopefully, the screenshot shows up. The circles are the same diameter, but when rotated, the vertical geometry pulls inwards making a cone shape. Thanks in advance user added image

PS, the orange geometry should be the same width from top to bottom.

Attached Images

Last edited by christrom; 07-04-2019 at 03:19 PM.
# 2 11-04-2019 , 08:40 PM
Lifetime Member
There are a few ways to achieve this ,but i would use the Multi Cut Tool on the cylinder in an orthographic view. Select the multi cut tool from modeling toolkit ,hold down shift and click to the left of your cylinder then move to the right of the cylinder and complete the cut by clicking when at the angle you need. Note that holding shift allows incremental degrees so you can get 45 degrees accurately.
Having made the cut select the faces above the cut and delete.To fill the hole select the top edge loop by double clicking on the top edge the either use Fill hole (under the Mesh tab ) and fix the ngon using the split polygon tool or after selecting the edge loop use the extrude tool by clicking the little blue circle to center and extract using the center box and then merge the vertices at the center.
Hope this helps.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 15-04-2019 , 08:03 PM
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I actually tried the multi-cut tool approach before posting here but thought there must be an easier way. I've since looked at the Lattice tool as well which gives a similar result. I've come to Maya from Sketchup, and a lot of the easy stuff on there is a nightmare on here! But I can already see just how much more control Maya allows for objects, so the learning curve is paying off... very, very slowly!

Thanks again, very good of you to help user added image