Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-04-2008 , 03:30 PM

Constraint and Joint rig help

Hey,

How you guys going?

I have been using maya ple version for about 2 weeks now, and this is my first shot at 3d programs so yeah anyway.

Recently, i have been making a model of a Mech.
So far ive gotten the legs and hip section done.

Now what ive done is create him with each working part constrained in some way, so currently each leg/hip (no feet yet) has got 5 points of freedom, and i can move all the joint areas the way i want them moved.
Ill attach my Mech in .RAR format so you can see what im talking about. Each Joint works with rotation atm, (joints as in moveable parts)

Now what im trying to do is place actual joints down and rigid bind them to him, and have the constraints still work, however i am havin great difficulty doing this.
Im finding that the legs and hip section will just deform when i try to move them.

So a basic aim of what im asking here, is if anyone has the time to have a look at my Mech, would you be able to show/tell me how i make joints correspond with the constraints.

I realise that i have probably done alot of things wrong from the start on him, but im fresh at this, and im kinda hoping not to have to use that excuse for ever lol.

Anyway, if someone could have a look at him for me, I would be very greatful, and i look foward to hearing feedback user added image

- Cheers, Ruff

Attached Files
File Type: rar mech legs.rar (224.4 KB, 674 views)
# 2 01-04-2008 , 07:44 PM
As I don't have PLE, I am unable to take a look at your file. However, it sounds like you are attempting to make 2 different nodes control the joints, those nodes being the joints (animation set, Skeleton > joints) and the object constraints. These two things together won't work well. When you skin to joints, all the skinned objects transforms get blocked out, so that m/any constraints will become useless. You are going to have to figure out how you want to set up your legs and stick with it.

Also, the reason your geometry keeps deforming with rigid bind is, despite being rigid, it is not devoid of deformations. Some of the geometry will still bend and shift to maintain it's connection with the joint. What you will want to do (and this will also help maintain some of the constraints created earlier) is to group all things attached to one area of the leg (all Thigh items, for example), and then parent constrain that group to the appropriate joint.

Hope you'll be able to make use of some of this. Good luck.

# 3 22-04-2020 , 08:34 AM
It could be something to do with the weighting of each constraint.

if you don't know how to access it switch your toolbar to the rigging panel click on 'Skin' then click 'Paint Skin Weights' from there you can influence how each joint affects the geometry of the character. you paint the areas that each joint influence to alter how the geometry react to the motion of certain joints. it takes a little while to get used to but it's certainly worth it to save yourself the struggle in the future. anyways good luck hope you figure it out. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by LordOfDecay; 22-04-2020 at 08:39 AM.
# 4 22-04-2020 , 08:40 AM

It could be something to do with the weighting of each constraint.

if you don't know how to access it switch your toolbar to the rigging panel click on 'Skin' then click 'Paint Skin Weights' from there you can influence how each joint affects the geometry of the character. you paint the areas that each joint influence to alter how the geometry react to the motion of certain joints. it takes a little while to get used to but it's certainly worth it to save yourself the struggle in the future. anyways good luck hope you figure it out. user added image

and this thread is dead.... oh well maybe someone will stumble here and find what they need.