Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-01-2005 , 12:03 AM
The Maya Mountain

Siggraph lecture ideas?

Hey, guys,

I've got an opportunity to teach a 90 min. lecture at Siggraph with Alias' Master Classes! The reason I'm getting the opportunity is because of my game art book, so it's probably expected that my lecture be about the same category, but go over more complex and advanced things.

I thought I'd ask you folks what you might would find interesting to learn about in a 90 min. class about game art development?

My initial thoughts are to talk about Normal Mapping techniques and methods, but I don't know if it would be a subject that would require the entire 90 min. So, perhaps something related, like more thorough UV layouts? But then again, that's covered in my book pretty thoroughly.

So, anyway, I just thought I'd ask you folks what your thoughts are. user added image

Thanks in advance!

# 2 26-01-2005 , 05:21 PM
talk about the business side of the industry user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 26-01-2005 , 05:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
Not sure I'd be the best one to tackle such a topic, as I'm pretty much just a production artist user added image.

# 4 26-01-2005 , 06:04 PM
if youre gonna do that do it till the end kinda like the guy of the advanced rigging tut. He frist made it the hard way and then he gave the automated mel.

You could pair with a programmer and kinda make a "realtime shading for artists in maya" tut giving a working viewport previeweable library of CG or HLSL shaders...

and then explain what maps (and how to make em, uving included) certain character with certain features in the shaders would need... you know... all of them... and how baking mayas shaders can help on the creation of those...

and talk about the correct way of hiresmodeling to transfer to a normalmap in a lowpoly WITHOUT maya crashing...

uh... that would certainly take more than 90 minutes and it wont probably be worth the effort to you anyways...

Last edited by dragonfx; 26-01-2005 at 06:11 PM.
# 5 26-01-2005 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
hey Mike,

I think people like new things never seen before. Stuff that is easy and yet very powerful. That always seems to win people over. I haven't had a chance to over your book so I have no idea what is in there but taking ideas from the book may also help. Alot of powerpoint seems to make peole go ill. Did Alias not give you any area to focus on?

# 6 26-01-2005 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dragonfx
and talk about the correct way of hiresmodeling to transfer to a normalmap in a lowpoly WITHOUT maya crashing...

uh... that would certainly take more than 90 minutes and it wont probably be worth the effort to you anyways...

you must be doing something wrong

# 7 26-01-2005 , 07:32 PM
actually i gave it 4+ points to process in the same projection point(bunch of torus combined and trying to project to a single quad), it also doesnt seem to like the points where the hipoly and the lowpoly cross... youve got to be clean and tidy when doing that stuff, which is a pity as it could have great potential in adding details quick and dirtyly...

Last edited by dragonfx; 26-01-2005 at 07:41 PM.
# 8 26-01-2005 , 11:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hey, Roach,

No, they pretty much just said, "write up a proposal and we'll see." I'm assuming game-oriented stuff is the way to go, though.

My main issue is filling up the time... I can think of a number of topics, but can't think of how to fill 90 min. with them, or even 60 min. :p I just did a normal mapping tutorial for SM and it's only 30 min. lol

Hmm...

# 9 27-01-2005 , 06:44 AM
Subscriber
Normal mapping seems to be all the rage with the latest tech demos for games theses days, so that would seem to be safe and attentable lecture. Using LOD in conjuction with normal mapping maybe?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 10 27-01-2005 , 08:55 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
My main issue is filling up the time... I can think of a number of topics, but can't think of how to fill 90 min. with them, or even 60 min. :p I just did a normal mapping tutorial for SM and it's only 30 min. lol

Hmm...

Do what Conan O'Brien does from time to time: "Frankenstein wastes a minute of our time". Hire some guy in a frankenstein suit and mask and let him do some very bad comedy. This could be extended to say 45 mins user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 27-01-2005 , 01:10 PM
Subscriber
setting up for one of these things is very difficult. I got to take into account that you probaly are not just demoing Maya, you will be doing alot of talking and so on which all takes up time. Is there any special techniques that you guys do at your studio for games that people would go wow?

# 12 01-02-2005 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
How about something on prelighting?? Isn't that used a lot in games, I know that its something that I don't know very much about, maybe others might feel the same?? Just an idea though.

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/