Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 181 04-01-2003 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
Hi mike, first up I've been following your progress on this character since you first posted this and think it is absolute awesome, you definately have some major talent, a level of which I know alot of people here aspire to reach! Can't wait to see it animated if you decide to do that!

Also, I noticed you mentioned you had been using Maya for 3 years. I was wondering if that is 3 years simply using the Maya app, or you begun from scratch 3 years ago and have learnt what you know since then? I'm looking to get into this for the long run and would like a rough indication of how long it takes to get competent in Maya!

Thanks and once again, awesome work, I can see by looking your website why companies and gaming developers wanted your expertise (from yer resume) user added image

# 182 04-01-2003 , 06:50 AM
The Maya Mountain
Hey, Thanks, Silva. user added image

I only wish that were true. lol Work has been tough to get lately, but I think that has more to do with my location than anything.

As for the time frame, 3 years is from day 1 in my Maya 101 class with absolutely no knowledge of Maya whatsoever. user added image

Good luck!

# 183 04-01-2003 , 07:03 PM
are you going to make a cartoon model of yourself without a hairy face?? user added image

# 184 10-01-2003 , 12:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
I suppose I may eventually, but it'll stay for now. Mine's about grown back. :p

Hey, if you guys don't mind, I'd like some feedback regarding a walk cycle I did for ToonMike here: www.mtmckinley.net/toon_walk1.zip - 870 kb.

Thanks. user added image He's obviously a big guy, so a little waddle in his walk wouldn't be all that terrible. I'm wondering if his arms are swinging too wide, though... hmmmm... I wish I could look at myself for guidence, but to be honest... I'm not near that large. :p

Thanks!

# 185 10-01-2003 , 12:54 AM
hahaha.. i put it on loop and just watched it for a minute. that walk is amazing. I think the arms do seem a little bit to far out... but then again, it is a cartoon. i like how your fore arms are gigantic... and they just sort of mold into a huge hand

# 186 10-01-2003 , 01:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, dbirider! user added image I'll see if I can tweak his arms a little in more.

# 187 10-01-2003 , 01:18 AM
It wasn't the arms I noticed first. It was his "stiffness". I can't describe exactly what I mean but it's like he has a bad back or something user added image Anyway, very good indeed... Keep it up!

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 188 10-01-2003 , 01:19 AM
The Maya Mountain
hey, here's an animation test I did for the facial expressions. I didn't have a sound clip or anything to try to match, but I was trying to get him to say "Oh, Hey, how are you?" and then grin at the end. It's probably a bit too fast, but for the final project, I'll have a recording to match to help with that.

EDIT: New one below >>

Thanks again! user added image

# 189 10-01-2003 , 01:19 AM
i think you need make his head move a little more seams a little stiff. and try to add some jiggle to the lower sections, just a idea. haha damn good mike.

# 190 10-01-2003 , 01:19 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, guys! user added image

I got rid of my incessant posting and put it all into one. user added image

I retooled the walk cycle. Let me know whatcha think!

www.mtmckinley.net/toon_walk2.zip - 744 kb

Also, I re-rendered the facial animation avi with a sound clip of me trying to match the model. lol When I do this for real, I'll pre-record of course. user added image I think this one came out pretty good, though.

www.mtmckinley.net/toon_face1.zip - 550 kb

Interested in comments! user added image Thanks!

# 191 10-01-2003 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
Hi Mike,

nice work so far!

But for the walk cycle: you move arms and legs paralel on either side, yet I believe that they move in opposite directions - left leg/right arm, right leg/left arm.

The way it looks now reminds me of some kind of evil, overweighted robot: terminate! terminate! terminate!

The head looks a bit stiff and the way the pants fold doesn't look to convincong to me.

And try to do something with the belly.

But for the rest: all thumbs up! user added image

Renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!

Last edited by Renderizer; 10-01-2003 at 12:21 PM.
# 192 10-01-2003 , 05:43 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, jiggle and all that will come eventually. I'm just trying to get the walk right now. You really think the head looks stiff? It's swinging pretty crazily at the moment... I had thought it was TOO loose. lol

# 193 10-01-2003 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
I think it's the way the head sits on the body - like being glued to it.

But what I think is very important is that in reality the arms do not move paralel to the legs on the same side.

You can observe this kind of movement when little children are trying to make their first steps. Or think of Frankenstein's cute creature.

There are some adults who move in that same way, but usualy these are people who show some severe deficits with their physical coordination, or the awareness of their body movements (my girlfiend is an occupational therapist, so she's supposed to know such things).

Anyway: the left leg moves with the right arm and vice versa.

There needs to be more movement in the hip/belly area (that's what the afore mentioned therapist call 'rotation').

Anyway - can't wait to see the final clip.

Go on!

Renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 194 10-01-2003 , 09:30 PM
the way he says "oh hey how are you?" reminds me of somebody that doesnt really care how the person really is.. but just says it because of loss of words. Its pretty funny

haha.. im weirduser added image

# 195 10-01-2003 , 09:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
Renderizer - Yeah, I did that on purpose at first... guess it just looks too off. :p I've got it going right now.

I'm wondering if the head seems stiff like you say because of the extreme proportions and elongated face... hmmm

Dbirider - lol, yeah, my voice acting at work. :p

A new clip is rendering. user added image Thanks for your comments!