Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-02-2012 , 01:37 AM

Animating character forward ???

Hello

I just made my first walk cycle and now I want to animate my character walking forward.How do I do that.When I animate global control for the character I always get some kind of funky moon walk thing.Feets are always sliping.

How can I exacty know how much to move my character???

# 2 02-02-2012 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber
Let me start by saying that I have never animated in 3d but the same principles apply to 2d and classical animation. If your character is sliding, then move the last key-frame closer or further from the original position. Try until you get it right, if you can't, then your walk cycle might not be done correctly.

To avoid sliding the feet have to move exactly the same distance between each (key)frame. You have to have a guide line on the ground and do the walk cycle accordingly. If the distance the foot travels between each key-frame varies then the final effect would be the sliding you describe. Look here, at the bottom of the page is a blue dude walking on the floor-grid I described.. if you were to move him from point a to point be, you'd have a perfect walk cycle - zero sliding.

https://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/aim/a_...e_project.html

hope that helps

# 3 02-02-2012 , 07:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Explanation

Check the Graph Editor for the foots forward/back movement by scrubbing the timeline. Whenever the foot is planted on the ground the tangents should be set to linear.You should have a straight line graph from the point where the ball of the foot first touches the ground to where the foot picks up.
At your contact position, note the z translate of your characters foot (or x and z). ie. it starts at 4.00 in the contact position and ends at -4.00 before it lifts off. Then the length of the stride is 8.

Method

To elimate the slip, Select the global control and open the Graph Editor and then set a start key on the translate z at frame 1 and the end key at the end of your walk cycle.
Select both keys in the Graph Editor and set their interpolation to Linear (that's the 3rd tangent icon that looks like an upside down v) then under curves > Post Infinity click on Cycle with Offset.
Scrub to the end foot planted position and then select the end key in the foot down position and slide the key in the z up to around 8.and check with a scrub to see if there is slip and adjust + or minus a little until the slip is eliminated.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 02-02-2012 at 10:13 AM.