Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-03-2008 , 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Candles

i did this a couple of months ago, couldnt sleep so i started tooling around, i forgot about it till i stumbled onto it today :x

mental ray
mental ray shaders
some paint FX generated images mapped onto some poly planes to bulk up the plants outside
GI + FG and all that other jazz
some glow added in photoshop

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-03-2008 , 09:30 PM
pretty good render, especially nice shadows on the tabletop...

only thing i wouldn't mind seeing is some slight translucency on the candles... ya know, like a sub-surface scattering.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 09-03-2008 , 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
its funny cuz i remember thinking hmmm i should add some but i decided against it out of laziness lol. thx for the crit

# 4 09-03-2008 , 01:06 PM
I am still a newbie in Maya, mayb its not in my place but I think your picture looks great. I do agree that some translucency would of made the image more believable , ... and the shine form outside is serious ,... So I think the outside should of dimmed or the room should of been brighter.

Dont take my word as gospel. Great piece, and welcome . I believe this is yyour first post of your work .... good work.

Keep it Real user added image

# 5 10-03-2008 , 03:47 PM
yeah - nice job - i tend to agree - i think the candles might need to be a bit darker - especially as the windows look so bright. i'm also not sure I am buying the weeds and ferns - they just seem a bit much or maybe a little too crisp compared to the candles.

Last edited by arran; 10-03-2008 at 08:13 PM.
# 6 10-03-2008 , 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
you know arran you're right, the plants in the back should be somewhat blurred (didnt occur to me). thanx for the crits guys. user added image

# 7 12-03-2008 , 11:15 AM
are those paint effects for the plants? if so, nice use of them. user added image

# 8 14-03-2008 , 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
yeah those are paint fx, thx for the crits guys, this is helping alot yay ^^

- Genny