Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 28-10-2003 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber

Frames per second question

I realize that video uses 30 fps, how do I go about changing to that in maya (i believe the default is 25)

also will my animation be retimed if it was created at 25 and i up it to 30? or will everything move a bit faster?

or is this something I shouldnt worry about at all?

Is 25 fps an ok speed?

sorry for so many questionsuser added image

# 2 28-10-2003 , 02:46 AM
Hi Howard. If you go to Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Settings, you can change your time prefs to what you need. 25fps is the european standard for video (PAL) whereas 30fps (NTSC) is American. 24 is film quality. By itself, it shouldn't really matter which you use but if you plan on syncing the animation up later with audio or compositing with video or film, then I'd suggest sticking with the format you're going to work with.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 28-10-2003 , 03:29 AM
Subscriber
cool! - thanx for clearing that up for me. :thumbsup:

# 4 28-10-2003 , 06:24 PM
Also of importance is the "keep keys at current frames" option box. If you check this and then reset your FPS your keys will remain where you put them ie: a key at frame 20 will stay at frame 20. If it is unchecked the keys will scale according to your new FPS settings so the keys will move to different frames. You may wind up with keys on half frames and quarter frames as well which is a pain, so if you choose to go this route you should pop all your keys back to the nearest whole frame.

Cheers,

Pat